Fish Dies During Tank Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goltzenberg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I had a 50L tank and as my catfish got bigger, my PH dropped to the lowest point on the chart and Armonia and Nitrite spiked.

1 platy and 1 guorami fish died during the cycling period. They started to look like they were suffocating a bit and yeah. Eventually both died. My other platy and albino sailfin catfish have survived.

Four days ago l bought a 215 litre tank of someone. Was not brand new and used previously. After 2-3 days my armonia levels have not risen past 0 and ph is perfect with my existing fish in the tank. I watched a youtube clip and this guy was saying for new tanks, take the existing filter out of a used tank, squeeze it and then pour the dirty water / bacteria in to the new tank. This guy says it quickens up the new tank cycle a lot quicker than normal methods.

I would love to do take the existing filter out of my 50L tank that l have kept running and put the dirty water in the new tank. But, l am a littled worried that l could possibly have disease in the 50L tank. If fish die during high levels of armonia and nitrite cycle, does that mean they disease that will affect other fish? I cleaned the 50L tank out, rinsed 1/2 of the pebbles with existing tank water and put back in. Replaced about 45L of water only leaving 5 L in the tank.

Is there a possibility l could spread disease using this method?

And how do you get disease out of your tank? i have some medication tablets . Should l put one or two tablets in the 50L tank to remove disease.

Any advice will be great.

Thanks
Andrew

Back
Top Bottom