Fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oakley19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I’m new to the fish community. I have a 29 gallon fish tank with six guppies, one rainbow shark, one angel, two cory catfish, one African dwarf frog, three mollies and eight danios. I have set up the tank about month and half ago. I have noticed that the ph is sightly high by not anything alarming (7-8). I do water changes once a week only replacing a third of the water. I have also noticed that the tank can’t grow algae. The tank is by the window in my room. I have not luck keeping fish alive for two weeks. One after another keeps dying. I am currently buying from pet smart. And started giving the fish antibiotics once introduced. Please need help. I can afford to keep repeating fish constantly.

On a side note I had a pleco and two have died. Pet smart said they need algae to survive. I have been feeding it algae wafers and nothing online states that algae is necessary to survival. Pet smart will not sell me another pleco.

Adf will not eat. Or I don’t see him eating. I am starting to take him out of the tank to feed him. I understand they are nocturnal so I assumed they eat at night

Please am help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Definitely read the links about tank cycling and Google the nitrogen cycle on YouTube. I recommend checking out videos by kgtropicals and/ or aquarium co-op on the nitrogen cycle, both channels have great videos explaining it. Kgtropicals has great videos aimed at new fish keepers in general.

I just wanted to add about the ADF... It really helps to spot feed them. In a tank with so many other fish your African dwarf frog probably isn't getting much of any food.

What are you feeding the ADF?

I know they sell pellets for them but in my experience I've never had an ADF that would eat the pellets. They really like frozen bloodworms. Stop taking your frog out of the tank to feed it and get a pair of aquarium tweezers to spot feed him. You can also feed Frozen brine shrimp with a turkey baster.

One other thing I want to point out...I might be wrong...but your tank sounds like it has a lot of fish in it and it might be overstocked. I would go to Aqua advisor and input your tank size and filtration and see if you are overstocked or not.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out :)

Back
Top Bottom