Fish dying and I can't figure out why!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJRose14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, all! I used to be in the aquarium game and I got out of it for a while. I just got a new 46G bow front. I'm using a Sun Sun canister filter and I can't figure out why my fish are dying!

1. I know to start small. I started with 2 Corys, 2 Mollies and 2 Dwarf gouramis. They're all very young and very small. I can't imagine I got too many for a 46 gallon, but maybe I did? I lost 2 Corys yesterday.

2. My tank has not cycled yet. However, I got a pretty big piece of driftwood from my sister's well-established aquarium, so that should have a substantial amount of bacteria on it to help with the process. My tank is also planted. As long as I added something from an established tank, I never once went through a cycle, so I didn't think I'd have an issue. But it's only been 3 days, so I can't imagine a cycle has really had much time to start yet.

3. My water is a bit hard, but every time I test, I get totally normal levels (0 nitrite and <20 Nitrate). I do not have an ammonium test (I'm using strips - I know, I know.) but I had my water tested yesterday and they said that my PH was just a smidge high (between 7.5 and 8), but otherwise everything is fine. My PH is back to normal now. Edit: I tested before and after a partial water change yesterday and the PH was normal both times. Maybe the sandwich baggie I had the water in could have affected that?

4. I'm doing at least one 25% water change per day, just to be safe.

5. Before dying, the fish are hovering at the water line. Not gulping air like I used to see occasionally, but just floating at the water line. I added in a wall of bubbles, thinking maybe it was an oxygenation issue, but I woke up this morning to the two mollies dead. :(

I hope I'm not leaving out any information! I got the fish from a Petsmart and I was a bit concerned how he handled them (and he put them all in one bag AND got water from the goldfish tank), so I'm hoping that was the issue.

Please feel free to ask more questions, give advice or chastise me saying I should have known better. :(

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate any help you can give. Be gentle. :p :fish2:

Edit #2: I forgot to add that the fish that are dying show no signs of disease or anything. No ripped/nipped/rotted fins, no ich, etc. They all look healthy. The mollies were swimming happily along last night before bed.

Last edited:
When u get fish make sure to never put their tank water in your tank water pore them in a net over a bucket also ammonia will spike before your nitrites or nitrates so it could be from ammonia

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also did you use a water dechlorinator

When u get fish make sure to never put their tank water in your tank water pore them in a net over a bucket also ammonia will spike before your nitrites or nitrates so it could be from ammonia

Thanks so much! I think I'm going to buy an ammonia test kit (or maybe just a master kit to be safe). I know when they tested my water yesterday, my ammonia was zero.

Also, I read yesterday about not using the fish store's water. It's never even occurred to me until I read that! Haha. I always used to just dump the whole bag in there. From now on, I'll definitely do that. :)

Also did you use a water dechlorinator

Yep, for sure! I use the Seachem brand dechlorinator/conditioner. I think they have different kinds, but that's the one my sister recommended (I used to use the cheap stuff).

I'll also add in, my water temperature is around 78 degrees F (I use an old-school thermometer, not digital) and yesterday, the remaining fish were really lethargic. I added a bit of aquarium salt (not very much - maybe a tablespoon?) and that seemed to have perked them up quite a bit. One of the gouramis looks like he's on his last legs, though. He hasn't left the top left corner all morning. :/

Definitely get the master test kit. Honestly you really want to have it. If you could give us the results from the master test kit of your water quality we could probably figure out what's killing them or at least rule out some possibilities.

I think its ammonia your tank is probably starting its cycle so maybe do a 25 percent water change

Definitely get the master test kit. Honestly you really want to have it. If you could give us the results from the master test kit of your water quality we could probably figure out what's killing them or at least rule out some possibilities.

Thanks, sinibotia! I think we're going to go pick one up tonight. It's funny, with all of the aquariums I had through college and a few years after, I literally never once owned a test kit. Not even strips! Haha. I just never once needed them. I think maybe I got really, really lucky then. ;)

I think its ammonia your tank is probably starting its cycle so maybe do a 25 percent water change

I'll definitely do another one today. :) I did two yesterday. Would the ammonia levels be super high after only 2-3 days? Even with plants and a live colony on a piece of driftwood?

Thanks again for all of your help and advice, folks. I really appreciate it!

Honestly im not sure but if the fish are healthy it might be your water. I mean it all depends on your fish, how much they are producing.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the fish from the first Petsmart we went to. We don't normally go to that one and I should have trusted my instincts. On top of handling them poorly, the tanks weren't very clean. They were absolutely FILLED with those pest snails. When we went to our normal Petsmart (who is typically fantastic) to return the dead corys, we picked up one more Molly and a gourami to replace the two corys. Mostly because the male Molly was badgering the female and I wanted to give her a break and because I remember that dwarf gouramis like to be in trios.

The two mollys who died this morning were from the first store. The silver molly and the gourami we got yesterday are swimming happily. They are eating (the fish from the first store never ate) and are curious about their environment.

It could be my water and I'm definitely going to get a test kit tonight to be sure, but I'm really wondering if I just got some bad fish from a bad store. Ugh.

Its always a challenge to find a fish store that sells healthy fish maybe try a local fish store the fish are going to be more expensive but its worth it and your helping your community out by investing in a mom and pop store

Its always a challenge to find a fish store that sells healthy fish maybe try a local fish store the fish are going to be more expensive but its worth it and your helping your community out by investing in a mom and pop store

Absolutely! I wish I knew of one. There's one up on the north side of Indianapolis named The Reef and they're really great, but they don't have a ton of variety. And all of their fish are full-grown! I couldn't find any young fish of any kind. I think they specialize more in reef fish than freshwater. We moved here recently, so I'm trying to find a quality local store. I had a great one where I used to live, but that's a few hours away. :(

Theres an uncle bills up there i believe

I'm starting to wonder if it's the fish from the first Petsmart we went to. We don't normally go to that one and I should have trusted my instincts. On top of handling them poorly, the tanks weren't very clean. They were absolutely FILLED with those pest snails. When we went to our normal Petsmart (who is typically fantastic) to return the dead corys, we picked up one more Molly and a gourami to replace the two corys. Mostly because the male Molly was badgering the female and I wanted to give her a break and because I remember that dwarf gouramis like to be in trios.

The two mollys who died this morning were from the first store. The silver molly and the gourami we got yesterday are swimming happily. They are eating (the fish from the first store never ate) and are curious about their environment.

It could be my water and I'm definitely going to get a test kit tonight to be sure, but I'm really wondering if I just got some bad fish from a bad store. Ugh.

Where did you read that dwarf gourami like trios? In heavily planted tanks with plenty of things to break line of site it is possible to have that many male gourami. If your tank is not heavily planted then I would suggest ONLY 1 male. And however many females if you so desire. The males (if you have more than one) may not be aggressive now but enough time they will turn hostile on each other.

I'm going to assume the tank is not cycled. If not, keep doing daily 50% PWC to ensure levels stay in a safe range till you get the test kit. Even then, daily water changes will become necessary likely to keep level in the safe area for your fish till the cycle finishes.

Caleb

Where did you read that dwarf gourami like trios? In heavily planted tanks with plenty of things to break line of site it is possible to have that many male gourami. If your tank is not heavily planted then I would suggest ONLY 1 male. And however many females if you so desire. The males (if you have more than one) may not be aggressive now but enough time they will turn hostile on each other.

I'm going to assume the tank is not cycled. If not, keep doing daily 50% PWC to ensure levels stay in a safe range till you get the test kit. Even then, daily water changes will become necessary likely to keep level in the safe area for your fish till the cycle finishes.

Caleb

Dwarf gouramis were one of my favorites to keep when I used to have aquariums and I remembered that they liked to be in trios. I do have one male and two females, however. :) I have been doing water changes at least once a day, but yesterday I did two.

Theres an uncle bills up there i believe

Yep, there is! Uncle Bills is another type of chain, though. I've never personally bought fish from them, but I know when my grandparents buy fish from them, they always get sick ones. :( They buy from an Uncle Bills in another city though, so maybe I'd have better luck.

Oh sorry im from newyork i just heard they are pretty big so they moght have more variety

Dwarf gouramis were one of my favorites to keep when I used to have aquariums and I remembered that they liked to be in trios. I do have one male and two females, however. :) I have been doing water changes at least once a day, but yesterday I did two.

Good to hear it's only one male!

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom