Fish for algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvanLow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are some good fish for algae control. Fish the might eat scrape algae off substrate and tank sides. Also if the fish could also produce little waste the better lol. I don't really want to go the shrimp route unless highly recommended by my fellow posters on here who are clearly more knowledgable and experienced , Evan

What are some good fish for algae control. Fish the might eat scrape algae off substrate and tank sides. Also if the fish could also produce little waste the better lol. I don't really want to go the shrimp route unless highly recommended by my fellow posters on here who are clearly more knowledgable and experienced , Evan
Forget fish, Amano shrimp are the Michael Jordan of algae eaters!

A picture of the algae would help identify it. It's better to correct the problem causing algae than to rely on an algae eater. Also most all algae eaters are specific to eating only certain types of algae.

So that being said what size is the tank? How long do you leave lights on daily? Is it planted? What is your WC schedule and how much do you change out each time? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

For algae on the front and sides of the tank most use an algae magnet.

Algae Control

Hello Evan...

Corydoras do a fairly good job of eating bits of algae. Anacharis is a good floating plants that I've read gives off a mild chemical that discourages the growth of some forms of algae. Large, frequent water changes of half the tank's volume done weekly helps too. I keep the fish feedings to a little a couple of times a week, so there's not much extra to sustain algae.

I don't have any visible algae in any of my planted tanks, so something appears to be working.

Just one reporter's opinion, though. Tank keeping isn't an exact science, so there may be many workable alternatives.

B

I agree on finding out the cause of your algae problems before getting something to 'fix' them. How long are your lights on? What kind of algae do you have?

I appreciate all the responses !!!

I have no algae to speak of but I'm primarily concerned about algae on ornaments and gravel

I want to just do my best to limit and avoid it

I've heard nerite snails and amano shrimp are going to be your best bet for that. Plecos Ime don't do that great of a job and crap up a storm, ottos can be nice but sometimes fragile and aren't good for newly set up tanks.

I think I'm gunna go the shrimp route everyone's leaning me towards it and I'd be naive to head elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom