Fish for our new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We currently have 3 White Cloud Mt. Minnows and 3 black skirt tetras in a 29 gallon tank with live plants. The kids are always eyeing the balloon mollies, dwarf gouramis, cardinal tetras and other tetras at the aquarium store. One of my sons love Glofish but I think they don't look very natural and I know nothing about them yet. I enjoy the watching the hatchet fish but worry about them leaping out of our tank. Any recommendations for which fish would be best to add to our tank and enjoyed by a 5 year old, 4 year old and 1 year old? Thanks!!
Jennifer

You should consider increasing the amounts of the two you already have. They will be much happier in larger groups. Glofish would be great entertainment for your kids. They are the descendants of genetically modified zebra danios and you can go to glofish.com for more info on that. Speaking of, there are bunches of different types of danios that may work. Balloon mollies apparently need salt in their tank, but I've heard otherwise. And dwarf gourami may be fine, just keep it at one and watch for aggression.

+1

You might want to get rid of the White cloud mountain minnows (Tanichthys albonubes) or put them in a different aquarium. They are temperate fish (coldwater) and shouldnt be put with tropical fish.

Have you considered a apistogramma (Apistogramma sp.)? They are lively and full of personality. You could also do a school of harlequin rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha) or a school of Dwarf neon rainbows (Melanotaenia Praecox), they are both also lively and active schools that could give color.

I agree with Shady, increasing the school of black skirts would make the fish you have much happier. In a 29, you could get a more colorful school of community fish and not exceed your bioload.

Maybe some cories? They come in tons of varietys and during the day, are super active. I would say one of the most entertaining fish to watch.

And who is Shady? <-- to mudraker

+1

You might want to get rid of the White cloud mountain minnows (Tanichthys albonubes) or put them in a different aquarium. They are temperate fish (coldwater) and shouldnt be put with tropical fish.

Have you considered a apistogramma (Apistogramma sp.)? They are lively and full of personality. You could also do a school of harlequin rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha) or a school of Dwarf neon rainbows (Melanotaenia Praecox), they are both also lively and active schools that could give color.

White clouds are fine in a tropical environment. They may not breed as prolifically as they would in say 68-72F water but they will do fine. White clouds we get at the store were are descendants of bred parents- not wild caught.

Go for whatever you like, really. Cherry barbs add nice color.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm so excited to add some fish. Unfortunately my son is demanding Glofish so those will be our first additions. I love the black-skirt tetras so more of those would be lovely. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom