Fish hiding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mstefanko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small 5 gallon tank for now. I just re-set it up and put in a black molly and a sunset platy 4-5 days ago. The tank has a small air stone, a lighted hood, a mini heater, a filter, couple fake plants and a couple small decorations for hiding places. I feed the fish a pinch twice a day of flakes. Tank is between 71-75 degrees, having trouble getting it higher right now.

When I put the fish in the tank the black molly was the one that seemed nervous hid for hours..the platy was very active. The next day the molly was completely comfortable and very active, but since the molly started swimming around the platy has been in hiding. Only coming out for food and generally waiting until the food drops to the gravel to eat.

Was curious to see if anyone had any suggestions. Would it be a good/bad idea to get another platy to make this one feel more comfortable? I know they are not schooling fish but has to be something that will make this fish feel better about being in the tank with the molly (they don't fight it just seems like the platy avoids the molly).

Thanks a lot =)

Well, i'm guessing since you just added them, they are still adjusting to the new enviroment and water conditions.

Give it some time and after it's been another week or so and your platy is still hiding, there might be a stress related problem, but for now jsut give it sometime and let them get use to everything, it's all new to them.

agreed, every fish needs time to adjust to their new homes. I wouldnt worry just yet, this sounds like typical shyness when added to the tank.

Was the tank cycled first? If not it could be your water quality is stressing the fish out.

What are you water parameters?
PH Ammonia Nitrites Nitrates?

Nope, the tank is going through the cycling process now. So water quality could be adding stress i'm sure. I'll take a sample of water to get tested within next few days I dont have anything to test with at the house right now.

thank you for the replies btw!

while you're getting it tested i would highly suggest getting your own test kit the Tetra Master kit for freshwater is usually easy to find. Just get one that uses liquids not strips. Since you are doing the cycle with fish in the tank you will want to be able to test the water everyday especially given the smaller size of tank. A 5 gallon tank can go from good to bad very quickly... If your fish are hidding your ammonia levels could be through the roof. I would do a large PWC so 60% just to be on the safe side. See if that brings your fish out.

while you're getting it tested i would highly suggest getting your own test kit the Tetra Master kit for freshwater is usually easy to find. Just get one that uses liquids not strips. Since you are doing the cycle with fish in the tank you will want to be able to test the water everyday especially given the smaller size of tank. A 5 gallon tank can go from good to bad very quickly... If your fish are hidding your ammonia levels could be through the roof. I would do a large PWC so 60% just to be on the safe side. See if that brings your fish out.
Agreed. I would test as soon as you can. Keeping track of your water parameters is even more important when you're cycling with fish. Doing frequent PWCs extends the cycle, but the fish have a better chance of surviving if the ammonia and nitrite levels are kept in check.

Good luck!

...Doing frequent PWCs extends the cycle, but the fish have a better chance of surviving if the ammonia and nitrite levels are kept in check...

My 10 gallon with a small common gold fish and rosy red just finished cycling yesterday (YA!!!! :D). It required right at one month and daily 30%-50% water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels in check (and even then, the levels were always higher than most recommended).

If it took me a month with lots of PWCs, then how long do you think I can cycle a 5 gallon fishless (and therefore limit the need for PWCs)?

Back
Top Bottom