Fish ideas for a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southsidechild

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390883312.465310.jpg hello guys I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank I just started over that finished a cycle and I'm looking for any kind of fish ideas anyone has please feel free to leave a comment and any ideas on things I might need to change or add to the tank

Welcome to AA!!!

Do you have an idea of what you have in mind? Tropical? Coldwater? Community? A single fish? Planted? Nonplanted? Aggressive?

Perhaps you can have a look at our subsection "Freshwater Tank Showcase" to get an idea of what different setups look like from other members. Or browse your local fish store/supplier (lfs) and write down the species of fish you are most interested in owning. Do some preliminary research on these species and feel free to ask any questions! Everyone will be happy to help! :)

I was thinking of going a big tropical I seen some shrimp and lobster I really want to get but idk what else to add with them

One of my favorite fish that would be nice is the angelfish. A pair would look nice with a group of tetras.

Thanks guys here's a update of the fish I have
1 angel fish
1 bala shark
2 tiger barbs
1 red lobster
2 red claw crabs
2 Dwarf Gourami
1Plecostomus

Here's some pics ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615440.768301.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615469.281248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615578.594772.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615631.608094.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615469.281248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615469.281248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397615848.177839.jpg

Ok! So here's the critic: Bala shark is a big no no. Take him back. Balas are a schooling fish (they need 6 of their own kind), get very large and are high energy. To properly care for them as adults you need 200+ gallons. They are not aquarium friendly. Vote "no" by getting refunded for him.

Tiger barbs are cool fish, but also need to be kept in a school (6 minimum of the same kind) or they will stress out. They are also notorious fin nippers, so watch your angelfish, he might get harassed.

Red-clawed crabs can do fine in freshwater for short periods but eventually need brackish water with iodine to molt properly. This will shorten their lifespan considerably if not taken care of. They also need access to land, and are not fully aquatic. Read more here. Red Clawed Crab - Sesarma bidens

The last thing would be the pleco. What kind is it? Bristlenose, rubbernose, and a few other kinds of plecos will stay under 6 inches, however, common plecos grow over a foot long (and IMO get very ugly :() They also will need to have driftwood for proper digestion and veggies to munch on or algae wafers.

I have no idea about red lobsters, but gourami are great community fish, and Angels are usually peacful though once in a while they can get territorial.

Hope this help you! Stocking is always hard as a beginner and I think you made a few mistakes, but keep trying we are here to help!

Back
Top Bottom