Fish ideas - Tankmates for neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I need help choosing fish to go with my neon tetras. We have a 13 gallon tank and 5 tetras. I was originally going to go with platys or guppies, but someone here suggested that might not be a good idea. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389416357.198494.jpg
I just got a herd of these, there re Five Banded Barbs..Puntius pentazona. They school with my Rasboro s, are very compatible with the neons . You can t tell but the dark part of their stripes are turquoise. Really pretty fish.

Also, we have 2 small frogs and a snail in the tank. I've been told those don't count as far as territory go. Is this true? How many more smaller fish could I add? I'm leaning toward 2 dwarf gouramis, and I'm still really interested in a few dwarf platys. Would that make me over stocked?

You may want to pass on the Platys, they have a high bioload. I m not sure about the other inhabitants. Need a more knowledgable member to jump in here.......

Two dwarf gouramis is in a ten isn't good unless you plan to breed them. In that case the male would kill the female so really I don't recommend it.

I would also skip the platys. I personally would not even put a platy in a ten gallon tank, IMO they need at least a 20.

I wouldn't do the barbs in a tank of that size; they should have more horizontal swim room. It's even been argued that neons should be in a 20 gal minimum due to their activity level. It can be difficult stocking smaller tanks. Maybe a single dwarf gourami as a centerpiece and call it stocked until you can upgrade to a larger tank?

Yeah, I was re thinking the 2 gouramis last night... Are there any other fish that might be good? The tank is my daughter's, and I'd like for her to have a lot of activity, even though it's a smaller tank...

I did read that about the barbs, so I passed on that idea. They are beautiful though!

You could do only male guppies or endlers livebearers, and a single honey gourami (hardier and more peaceful than other dwarf gouramis), and 5 panda cory cats for the lower level. This would make a very friendly, lively tank.

Thank you for the suggestion of the endlers! I am now absolutely in love with them! I think we're going to go with endler males (4-6), the tetras we have, and 4-5 panda Cory's. Does anyone know if the corys would bother the frogs?

I did read that about the barbs, so I passed on that idea. They are beautiful though!

Did you look up Barbs, or this exact type of Barb? These are little & any fish would benefit from a bigger tank! I stand by my suggestion.

I did look up those barbs because I really like them, but they weren't compatible with my water either. I saw some at my LFS today, and had to revisit the reason I couldn't have them

Oh well then.... You ll no doubt get something that you ll love & that ll give you hrs of happy tank viewing . Best of luck & post pics!

I've made my final decision! What do you think?

Existing:
5 neon tetras
2 African dwarf frogs
1 snail (orange?)

Will be adding:
5 males endlers
8-10 red cherry shrimp

Aquadvisor has me in the high 90 %ile with plenty of filtration capacity. I'm now fully cycled. Recently added 3 small plants and a piece of driftwood. Levels stayed the same. I will be adding 1more plant, some grass, and a floating moss ball before I add the endlers. The shrimp will be added towards the end of Feb. The tank was set up on Dec 28. Is the end of Feb enough time to wait before adding the shrimp, or should I wait a little longer?

Back
Top Bottom