Fish in Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

This seems to be a very active and well informed forum so thought I'd start here with my questions.
I'm new to the tropical fish world and last week bought my first tank. It's a 40 litre with all the kit and have decided to cycle the tank with fish after some consideration. I have a test kit and currently on day 5 since having the fish. I had 3 tiger danios but lost one. The death appeared to be due to getting stuck in the filter rather than an issue with levels etc.

I have tested everyday but as yet have not had any ammonia showing. I have had nitrates and nitrites showing as reasonable levels and as such have completed two 20% water changes.

My question really is it normal to not have ammonia showing? Is it possible that my filter is dealing with the current levels of ammonia?

Thanks in advance.

If you're not using a liquid test kit, chances are you're not getting accurate readings. The paper strips are notoriously inaccurate. Your fish's death may very well have been caused by poor water conditions as a healthy fish will not become stuck to the filter intake. If you can get a hold of an API Master Freshwater Test Kit, it would really help you through this process.
Good luck!

That's for the response.

I am using a liquid test kit but haven't had a result for ammonia at all.

Sadly the fish that died, in my opinion, was not 100%. And had I of notices this at the shop I wouldn't of accepted it. It's tail had been nipped and was not swimming as well as the other two.
I should of also said that the fish wasn't in the intake it was caught on the speed switch and I have checked to see if there is suction there but it appears not. Or I would of been moaning about the design to Interpet.

Ah, I see. Well that is weird. What are the numbers for nitrite and nitrate? Do you shake the bottles of reagent before use? Sometimes you can get an inaccurate test from the reagent solidifying in the bottle.

Last two days I have had

Nitrate 15 mg/litre
Nitrite 0.8 mg/ litre

Do you know in parts per million? Sorry, not sure how your test compares. It would seem if you have measurable nitrite, that there would have to be some ammonia. Maybe take a water sample to your LFS to double check the test.

From an online conversation it's appears to be pretty much the same a ppm!

When would you expect to start seeing ammonia?

Just edited my post,lol. I'm betting since you are seeing nitrite that your ammonia test is off somehow. Can you take a sample to your fish store to double check the test? Caution, the nitrites are very toxic to the fish. In parts per million, .25 is a toxic level and calls for a water change. Hope you get it figured out. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

Thanks for your comments. Hopefully someone else has something to add too.

It is possible, remember that there are two different "beneficial" bacterias in a cycle tank. The ones that convert ammonia to nitrite, and the ones that convert nitrite to nitrate.
Sounds to me that your tank is close to complete the cycle, meaning that you will soon start to read 0 Nitrites, but in the mean time, you need to keep up with the PWC as needed. Don't forget not to clean the filter or media during the water changes, do just a light rinse in tank water.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am using a filter boost as well which may actually of worked. I didn't expect much from it but as it came with the tank I thought I'd try it.

Just about to test water and see what it's like today.

Back
Top Bottom