Fish in cycle, and furious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
:mad:

Well, I was really hoping my dad was serious when he said he was withdrawing from the aquarium a few days ago, but apparently he just can't help himself and screwed up my plans. I'm about to rip my hair out, it's like he did this just in spite of me!

I told him I was planning on getting scissortails for him once the tank was done cycling (it's been about a month since we started fishless). I guess he misunderstood or just decided to ignore me, because today when he got home from work he had a school of scissortails in a bag. -.- He refuses to send them back and I'm not sure but I think there are at least 8 or 9 of them, I didn't think about counting them until after releasing them into the tank.

Ammonia was at 3.0ppm so I did a huge water change really fast (fueled by rage), and test again, the results being:

Ammonia: 0-.25ppm
Ph: 8.2
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Up till today the cycle had been going on for about a month, dosed ammonia maybe once or twice up to 4ppm, but never got any nitrite or nitrate reading (even this morning when I tested), and the ammonia only dropped once. Now I'm not even sure what to do now that it's a fish in cycle :(

Anyway, even though it made me sad to put the little guys in, they are now schooling in our 55. Been watching them closely and trying to keep calm. I obsess over this tank and maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm just so worried about the fish (although they seem active and healthy)

Any advice or step by step instructions on how to fish in cycle?I can't find any good instructions.

I also worry that they may be sick simply because we had no qt tank to monitor them in. They have no signs of sickness as far as I can tell and had a healthy appetite when I fed them. Am I over worrying? Will the fishies be okay if I do a pwc every time the ammonia tests .25-.50?

Can't get a good picture of them but here is a full tank shot, you can kind of see them in front of the driftwood. Also, I haven't got around to removing the obnoxious blue plant.

Tried to get an up close picture...meh

Attachments

• image-147712813.jpg
    image-147712813.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-268711566.jpg
    image-268711566.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 85
Step by step?

Just test the water daily for ammonia and nitrites and change water if necessary. Once you see the levels drop to zero and the nitrates going up, you're usually set.

Feed every other day, pretty sparingly as well.

I think you'll be fine.

Fish-in isn't this terrifying concept that some want you to believe. You have a nice big tank and only six smaller fish. You'll come through ok if you don't over feed. I've never done fishless and I don't lose fish either.

Thank you so much. I think I'm just hyper paranoid because I'm so mad right now. I will continue to do daily water changes when needed, and shall pour over that link. Thanks again for replying to this, and my other threads too. :)

Considering you have a 55g and those are the only fish you have I think you will be fine. I'm doing an unplanned fish in cycle as well with a 10g and two platys. I never got around to adding an ammonia source and even starting my fishless cycle and had no choice but to do fish in. And I survived having a lot of food dumped in my tank (thanks to my 3 year old) and somehow avoided a huge ammonia spike despite all that food. You will need patience for sure, my tank just completed week 3 and all I've had is somewhat of an ammonia spike (hasn't been higher than 1
So far) and no nitrites or nitrates. Let me tell ya I'm ready to see a different color than blue and yellow for nitrites and nitrates lol!

Back
Top Bottom