Fish-In Cycling - Still No Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
We are in the 6th week of fish in cycling on our 29g tank and have to do almost daily 50% water changes at this point due to ammonia spikes of 1-2 ppm. Still no signs of nitrites or nitrates. Is there anything else we can be doing here? We will not add any more fish until we have cycled. Have 2 guppies 2 swordtails and a very small cory catfish. My 12 year old is just aching to get her community tank going.

but im going to try Dr. Tims one and only nitrifying bacteria there is alot of good reveiws out there of it i orderd it today so ill keep you posted how it works

Are you using water conditioner when you add the water. Sometimes cycling just takes longer times. What are you testing water with?

I just wanna point one thing out. When I cycled my tanks with fish in, for whatever reason I NEVER saw nitrites. I have to explanation for this, I just never did. I tested all the time. I literally went through a whole kit in about 3 weeks (truth)

We are testing with the api freshwater master kit. We add conditioner and clarifier with each pwc. We clean the gravel once a week. We only feed the fish for 2 minutes one a day. We now have to do 50% pwc almost every day as the ammonia spikes to over 1ppm pretty quickly. We only have 5 fish in the 29g tank. Should I consider adding some colony bacteria? Heard some good things about it. Any help would be apprciated.

I say read my Sig!! Anglesplus.com sells active filters for around 15 to 20 bucks. it come loaded with BB. I bought one and did a fish in cycle in two weeks. Parameters are rock steady! about to start a 40gal breeder build which the active filter will be transferred to for its cycle. Totally worth the money! Just make sure you purchase the "active" filter.

What's your PH? A very low PH (mid-low 6's) will sometimes stall the cycle by keeping the bacteria from forming. Is there ammonia in your tap water? If you can get some seeded media from an established tank that'll help (AngelsPlus sells active filters as phishfriend mentioned; just be sure it says "active" next to it or else you're buying a plain filer); also what filter do you have on the tank now? You want to make sure you have enough surface area for the bacteria to grow on. 6 weeks isn't unheard of but you're not highly stocked with fish and a 29 gal is a good size tank, I would think by now you'd be at least past the ammonia phase, so something must be going on. What dechlorinator do you use? Make sure it says it detoxifies chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.

PH is 8.4. No ammonia in the water. We are using the Aqueon water conditioner. Says it nuetralizes ammonia. We have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 filter. It takes filter pads.

When you run out of the Aqueon conditioner, switch to PRime. It's more concentrated so it'll last longer and it's one of the best dechlorinators there is. You might want to get a second filter; an AC 30 on a 29 isn't much particularly for messy fish like platys. Adding another filter will also add more surface area for the bacteria to grow on; it's possible you're fish load is higher than what the filter can handle. I'd suggest an Aquaclear 50 (or if you want to run only one filter, get the AC70 and move the media from the Aqueon to the new filter then fill the rest up with the media the AC comes with).

I'm gonna look into this more but... Like I stated before I never saw nitrites when I did a fish in cycle.

I have no explanation for this but hoping to come back with one soon.

I'm gonna look into this more but... Like I stated before I never saw nitrites when I did a fish in cycle.

I have no explanation for this but hoping to come back with one soon.

Thanks, Convict! Was your tank heavily planted? In this case I'm more concerned that the ammonia is still 1-2 ppms after 8 weeks; by now I would think it would be dropping if not staying at 0. So something is hindering the ammonia eating bacteria or as I mentioned the fish load could be higher than the surface area of the filter.

Well that is upsetting. The lfs told us the AC30 would be plenty. I do not see an AC70, I see the AC55/75. I also do not see the active filters on the angelsplus.com website

librarygirl said:
Thanks, Convict! Was your tank heavily planted? In this case I'm more concerned that the ammonia is still 1-2 ppms after 8 weeks; by now I would think it would be dropping if not staying at 0. So something is hindering the ammonia eating bacteria or as I mentioned the fish load could be higher than the surface area of the filter.

55 gallon heavily stocked African Cichlid tank. Never once saw nitrites. Was always as blue as the bluest sky. No plant in the 55.

Thank you. Based on the wall clearance we have behind the tank, I might only be able to use the AC50. I would prefer to have just one filter so would the 50 work? We intend to have a fully stocked community tank once it is cycled.

You could alway go to a canister filter that woulda sit on the floor but they are around 100$ and up. Question. Are you changing your filter pad? If you are stop. You don't need to change them unless they are falling apart.

Not changing the filters. For these active filters, do you just hook them to an air pump and drop them in the tank for a few weeks?

We are having trouble keeping the ammonia levels below .5 and are doing dailt PWC's. Could this be why the cycle is not completing? Is there anything we should be adding that neutralizes the ammonia?

I have the same issue. 6 weeks and just about zero across the board.

Back
Top Bottom