Fish in or fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could I possibly get established media from LFS? None of my friends or family have fish, so I have no one I can ask.

Mrs.h2012 said:
Could I possibly get established media from LFS? None of my friends or family have fish, so I have no one I can ask.

From what I understand many of them will give or sell you seeded material you just have to ask.

But then again it would be a gamble on if the tank the media comes from is a healthy tank or not.... Kinda makes me wanna just wait it out for my tank to cycle all on its own, don't wanna risk bringing disease or anything into my tank.

Mrs.h2012 said:
But then again it would be a gamble on if the tank the media comes from is a healthy tank or not.... Kinda makes me wanna just wait it out for my tank to cycle all on its own, don't wanna risk bringing disease or anything into my tank.

That's a thought but if your fish less cycling there wouldn't be any fish to get sick. Maybe someone else has more experience with it & can give a better answer. Lots of people do it so it must be more safe than not.

I'll talk to the people in the LFS in the next few days. There's no telling what the people who work there think of me, I've been in everyday this week just looking at fish lol!

LOL you sound like alot of us on here, I am constantly staring at my tanks, or watching fish videos on youtube.

The LFS should be more than happy to give you some filter media, just tell them you are going to buy the fish there after your tank cycles. As for getting a disease from the used filter media, make sure the tanks in the LFS are clean and that the fish don't look sick. You have the same risk everytime you bring home a new fish inless you are using a quarantine tank. Get as much media as they will give ya, it will cycle the tank faster.

If you are really worried about using media from a local fish store I know there are places online you can buy from as well. I don't know of any off the top of my head but I know it's been done by several members.

though honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Like it's been pointed out you run the same risk when bringing home new fish if you don't quarantine.

I always have put a couple of fish in after a couple of weeks, in your size tank I would do two small fish like neons.
Dwarf guramies you will want to wait untill water has settled and get a male and a female.
I have just started getting into marine now and I use the same times two fish after two weeks and it worked!
I have never had losses this way so far and it helps set up your filtration, but be patient after this period and allow I'd say another 3-4 weeks before adding say a catfish or a pleco and then a little longer for the guramies, and remember regular water changes! I would also recommend getting some real plants this helps balance everything out too

Back
Top Bottom