Fish less cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had added ammonia to my tank but afterwards I realized I put too much in (8 ml for a 20 gallon tank). It's been about a week and the ammonia level is still high and no nitrites yet ? I read it should take a week for ammonia to drop, should I just wait it out or do a water change. I think I should have put 4-5 ml of ammonia to raise it to 4 ppm. If I have too much ammonia will it take longer to cycle or not cycle at all?

Do a 30% water change and retest in a few hours do not add fish u want zero ammonia it is very toxic for fish its like humans breathing in chlorine all day

too much ammonia can cause the cycle to stall, i kept my ammonia levels at 2-3ppm during my fishless cycle. If your ammonia gets above 4ppm do a partial water change until you get it down to ~3ppm. Adding a small pinch of flake food will help add some phosphates to the tank, but will also add ammonia so be careful. If you dont have a liquid test kit, get one now! Be patient, its going to take a while to fully cycle but your patience will pay off

For you tank of 20g & if the ammonia is 10%. Do the test still to get it just right...

1ppm=0.76ml of ammonia
2ppm=1.51ml of ammonia
3ppm=2.27ml of ammonia
4ppm=3.03ml of ammonia

Back
Top Bottom