Fish less cycling - ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yosiparrish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I'm a newbie. 12 gal in fish less cycling right now, after I killed a bunch of fish :(. I didn't do my homework and was 100% stupid! Very glad I found this website with all the valuable info. Here are my readings after 9th day, using Api kit:

n1: 7.6. n2: 0. n3: .25, n4: 40. I've been using ground fish foods for the cycling. I countinue adding fish foods whenever n2 drops to 0. I'm thinking of getting ammonia from Ace hardware for the cycling but I don't know how exactly to measure ppm as you advise. My question is: how do I measure 1-2-3-4 ppm as you mention? How many drops of ammonia to obtain 1-2-3-4 ppm or do I just add it blindly and check the ppm from the chart?

I have Java ferns, banana plants and cobombas in tank and they're thriving. I plan to get those glofish back after the tank is actually ready this time. I was told I could have 10 glofish and 2 Siamese. Should I have the same number this time or go for less? Would you give me some advice of how to stock them this time and what is best for my little tank?

Thank you so much for your guidance.

I've used the bottles ammonia method before with success.

Here is a dosing calculator you can use. Due to the small tank(I did dosing on a 75g) you may need to be extra specific on dosing.

http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AmmoniaCycling.php

I came up with 1.27mL to achieve 3.0ppm ammonia using the info you gave and assuming the tank temperature was 75 degrees F.

Hope this helps :)

Caleb

Hi Caleb, thank you so much for your speedy reply. Thanks for your info. I did mean to ask one question but one question led to another and that's why I had tooooo many questions instead of one. My temp was 78 but today I crank it up to 84. Should I lower the temp to 75 for the measurement you provided? Thank you.

Hi Caleb, thank you so much for your speedy reply. Thanks for your info. I did mean to ask one question but one question led to another and that's why I had tooooo many questions instead of one. My temp was 78 but today I crank it up to 84. Should I lower the temp to 75 for the measurement you provided? Thank you.

Why did you crank it up?

I don't think it will have much effect but you can input a different temp on the calculator and see how much it changes if at all.

Caleb

After I checked one of the posts, I thought it's a great idea: higher temp will speed up the process, so, I crank it up to 84F. Should I go back to 78 or keep 84 until the cycling is done? Pls advise. Thank you.

It's been said it can speed things up but I can't verify how much if any at all. Ideally I believe it's around 80-82.

Caleb

Hi Caleb and all the experts ��, my little is still in the cycling but the readings are strange. Temp 80F, n1 under 7.6, n2 1, n3 around 5, n4 almost 40, after I had pwc 70%. The past 3 days, the readings were so high and I had pwc everyday: 90%, 50%, 50%. I keep n2 at 3, after I change water, the next day n1 drops down 0.5 or below, n2 5 n above and n3 is 160 and above, everyday. Is this normal and will my little tank be ready soon or did I miss out something or screw up somewhere during the cycling process? It's only a 12 gal tank but it's killing me every time having pwc ��. Am I supposed to change water everyday with fish less cycling? Would highly appreciate your advice.

You don't need to water change till the cycle is complete bud. Lol now I guess you realize fish-in cycling is not for you ;)

Don't water change till you have ammonia(NH3), 0 nitrite(No2), and some number of nitrate(No3) readings.

Caleb

You don't need to water change till the cycle is complete bud. Lol now I guess you realize fish-in cycling is not for you ;)

Don't water change till you have ammonia(NH3), 0 nitrite(No2), and some number of nitrate(No3) readings.

Caleb

Thanks for your guidance, Caleb. I thought pwc is needed when readings are way too high :rolleyes: Too much work for the little tank but it's better than waking up in the middle of the night because i saw those poor little fish gasping for air. :(. So, dont worry about readings, no water changing and keep n2 at 3-4 until n3 is 0. :facepalm: Thank a bunch and have a good day :)

Thanks for your guidance, Caleb. I thought pwc is needed when readings are way too high :rolleyes: Too much work for the little tank but it's better than waking up in the middle of the night because i saw those poor little fish gasping for air. :(. So, dont worry about readings, no water changing and keep n2 at 3-4 until n3 is 0. :facepalm: Thank a bunch and have a good day :)

Oh wait there IS fish in there???? I saw the title for fish less. YES KEEP CHANGING WATER!

Caleb

Caleb, you're right. It is a fish less cycling. Fish were all dead. Once in a while I see them in my dream, that's why I go for fish less cycling this time instead of giving up having some fish. It's a little tank, it'd be nice if someone can tell me how long it usually takes to complete the cycling as it's been 17 days. Guess this is the Patience that you all mention. As long as you think I'm on the right track, I'll try to be patient and wait :)

Caleb, you're right. It is a fish less cycling. Fish were all dead. Once in a while I see them in my dream, that's why I go for fish less cycling this time instead of giving up having some fish. It's a little tank, it'd be nice if someone can tell me how long it usually takes to complete the cycling as it's been 17 days. Guess this is the Patience that you all mention. As long as you think I'm on the right track, I'll try to be patient and wait :)

*sigh of relief* cycling can take 3-6 weeks but it's well worth the wait I assure you :)

Caleb

Hi Caleb and all, hope you all have a great week. As i turned off the light for fishless cycling, my cabombas started falling apart. I went to the lfs and got some water wisterias. I asked them to check my water sample. 0 n2, 2 n3, 40 n4 (well, ive been pwc like crazy until Caleb told me to stop, thats why my readings are quite low). Anyway, when they heard i killed 2 blue rams, 1 pleco, then 10 glofish, 2 siamese (?), probably they found how pathetic i was, they gave me a bottle of complete cycle to dump in the rank. (Sorry i dont know if i remember the name correctly cuz i already threw the bottle away:-(. ). I thought no harm done if i just put good bacteria in the tank. My questions: would i mess up the process after adding that bottle of bacteria in the tank? Will it help with the cycling? If n3 goes down to 0, will the tank be ready for 50% stocking right way as they suggest? "Temptation!!!" even though you warn newbies like me that "advices from lfs are grossly incorrect". I've been keeping n2 at 1 before i added the bacteria. Early this morning, got 0 for n2, 2 for n3. Thanks for your time and help. Christine.

I would follow the instructions of the bottle. Some are specific and say to do water changes or "add this amount now per gallon then add this amount in 24 hours"

Either way I have big doubts it will complete the cycle. Who knows it may give it a boost though!

Caleb

Hi Caleb and all, thank you very much for your guidance. I'm finally done with the fishless cycling. 7.6 n1, 0 n2, 0 n3 and about 20 n4. I did 75% pwc yesterday as n4 was so high. It's over 4 wks to comple cycling. Just awesome ;-). Thanks a bunch. Wonder if I need a new thread about how to stock or just keep this one. Hope youre not shocked to know that I have a fluval edge 12 gal. I did mention I was idiot and didnt do my homework, so, highly appreciate if you can help me with the stockings. I still wish to have some glofish tetras. Thanks for your help and time.

Back
Top Bottom