Fish planning advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranicrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! We are just starting our aquarium adventure (still fishless cycling - ammonia levels just dropped yesterday from 2ppm to 1ppm so we added a little more - yay!), but I am trying to narrow down our options, and I was wondering if there was a good resource for the swimming level of different fish? I read a little about it here and there, but it isn't always mentioned in the books/websites I have been looking at. This is for a 20 gallon planted freshwater tank. We have 1 plant (rotala rotundifolia) and are planning on a java fern and some anubias. Once we can add fish we are going to start with some White Cloud Mountain Minnows - at least 3 - is that enough? I was originally going to get 6, but then at the fish shop the owner said that we might want to start with 3 just in case there is a problem (so that only 3 die instead of 6) - but maybe she didn't understand that we are going to wait until the cycle is completed, etc.? Thoughts on that would be good - I would rather start with 6 but of course wouldn't want them all to die...

After that we were considering the following

Golden White Cloud minnows
Galaxy Rasbora
Emerald Eye Rasbora
Cherry and or Amano Shrimp
Nerita Snail

I was wanting an Ottocinclis but I read that even though they are small they like at least 30 gal - if that is true we won't do it, but it would be good to get some opinions.

OK - thanks! Oh, and a separate note - in all my research I ended up joining 2 different fish forums - is it bad etiquette to post in both? Not sure if it is mostly the same people on both and it would just be silly - I don't usually do this type of stuff...

-Rani

Welcome! Most people really only hang around a single forum. Personally, I spend time on this forum and a few others that specialize in my specific tastes for aquariums :)

The galaxy rasbora are nice but are endangered. I would only suggest getting them if you are certain they were captive bred.

The other fish choices look good however have you looked at the Harlequin rasbora? They are easier to get and very very hardy.

Since you're cycling fishless I would say go ahead and start with the 6 mountain minnows.

As for the Oto cat, people usually have horrible luck with them. I myself tried keeping them and gave up after I lost 12 without any chance of keeping them alive. Their collection methods are horrible which damage the fish beyond repair. They should also only go in well established mature tanks.

Thanks for the info - I will not go for the galaxies - I hadn't realized they were endangered - is there a safe/sustainable fish guide somewhere? I saw one for saltwater fish but not freshwater. I will also avoid the otos since I didn't realize that either. I am really up for any peaceful fish so any advice is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Have you considered some fun danios? I'm kind of obsessed with them lately. They're so lively and silly.

I will look at them! We are going to start with the minnows and then I have heard anywhere from 2-4 weeks before adding other fish??

They're like an inch and a half long and they chase each other and play tag all day, they do best in a school of five but I started with three and they did fine. Now I have 6+ ten fry of theirs that I've rescued.

Yeah - they look like they will be good buddies for the minnows - likely we will do 6 minnows, 6 danios, 2 shrimp and see how it goes! With the plants and other decor that will be our max I think! Until we move to tank 2!

Back
Top Bottom