Fish suggestions for my new 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

draX

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a 29g tank sitting empty in my lounge for ages. Yesterday I sprayed the back and sides black, looks really nice. I went to the lfs and bought epoxy coated black gravel and put that in as well. I have a huge piece of mopane wood from namibia, shaped like a crescent moon. It takes up almost the whole width of the tank. I tossed that in as well. Bought an aquaclear 200 and the Ammo-Rid insert, got that running. My plan is to stick with just the one piece of wood, no rocks. Put in some nice green plants to contrast the black, and then a large number of single species fish that shoal/school. I was thinking some kind of tetra - neon or cardinal or emperor. Or possibly tiger barbs. I want something that contrasts against the black gravel and black tank. Any suggestions?

I would suggest a silver fish, i have 5 red eye tetra's and they chase each other round quite a bit, playing follow the leader - good fun to watch and get a reasonable size. Cardinals are hardier than neons and imo much nicer... arent the best shoalers tho - i have 13 and they only seem to shoal when lights go out for a min or two. Maybe some rummynose tetras? Ive heard these guys shoal amazingly well.

You might want to look at getting some Congo Tetras. These fish get quite beautfiul as they get older, especially the males, and swim in the middle layer of the tank. You can check them out by following the link below.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/congo.xml

I have 7 of these in a 29 gal tank with a pair of kribs, 3 upside down catfish and an African log sucking catfish.

hey guys thanks for the quick replies! I will get some photos of my tank up asap so you can see what it looks like. I have been looking on the internet for pics of what I would like...check them out...

Angels would look cool in that tank. You could get gold, blushing, and marble angels to contrast, and for a cool match you could get black veil. I love my angels. :)

-j

I was actually thinking of Angels, but can't decide whether I want to go for more than one type of fish. I have taken some photos of the tank, but having problems attaching them...

the above two pictures are ones I found on the internet that are a kind of inspiration for this tank...does anyone know what the fish in the top pic are?

and this is what my tank looks like at the moment...

The fish in the top picture are Rasbora Heteromorpha. I don't know the common name in English. They grow to about 1.5 inch......so i guess you could keep 8 or 9 of them in there.

HTH

The top fish look like Harlequins .... Rasbora heteromorphs..... BUT I bet they are R. hegeli ... for which I don't know the common name. They are really similar looking to Harlequins.

Angelfish can work fine in a 29 gal tank but I wouldn't put in more than 3 of them. A good rule of thumb for Angelfish is to have 10 gal of water for every 1 Angelfish. They also need plenty of swimming around room since they can get so big. Other species that can go with Angelfish are some of the larger Tetras and some Corydoras. Do not get Neon Tetras because they are too small to last with Angelfish in my experience. My Angelfish think of Neon Tetras the way humans think of light beer - they taste great and they are less filling :)

If I go with angels I would probably only get two of them...haven't had any experience with them before though so should be fun! I think I'd prefer the harlequins to the neons though, they're quite pretty.

I live in south africa, so it's hard to find some of the products you guys have. I am looking for coralife bulbs. Otherwise was thinking of getting philips lights, never tried them before but I know they're readily available. Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Back
Top Bottom