Fish Tank Condensation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cchiodo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm very new to all this, I just bought a 150 gallon tank upgrading from a 55 gallon, I put in new gravel, filled the tank with water and after setting up my canister and letting the water clear up, I noticed condensation on the outside of the tank and a little water on the edges of the base of the tank which is probably from the condensation, i shut my heater off took the lids off of the tank and, I began emptying the tank and after getting about half the water out I looked and some forums as I took a break, so this is my question, could all of this be happening because the tempature of the water is too cold (59.5 degrees) right now based off the temp of the house (70 degrees) or is this possible bad seals on the tank?

Let the heater do its work, seems like the outside air is warmer than the tank causing that. Bring it up to temp. Is your heater working properly?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thermometer is a must, just got one recently and temp was 89 I'm my frontosa tank and had no idea because I had the heater set to 83 to vary for tank size, I didn't take in a count the uv defuser and lighting that gave off extra heat.

The heater works fine, I think I just went into panic mode when I saw the condensation in fear of the tank leaking so I shut the heater off, yeah the water was at like 59 degrees Nd the house air was 70 degrees, the last thing I wanted was a 150 gallon fish tank leaking in my house when I'm asleep.

Basically what your saying is turn the heater on and let it warm the water temp to the proper temp, and I shouldn't have that problem anymore?

Yes I would keep that heater on, is the heater efficient enough to heat that 150 of yours?

Yes I would keep that heater on, is the heater efficient enough to heat that 150 of yours?

I have two heater for the tank one for each side so it should be fine.

Just wondering because you said it had condensation before you turned the heaters off.

I turned the heater on then noticed the condensation about 15 min later.

What was the temp at that point. Sorry just trying to figure out what happened so I can give you a correct answer that you need

Heaters may maybe broken, I would get some new ones if they don't work.

Oh no I hadn't messed with the tank yet, I wanted to get feedback first, I have about half the tank filled up now, tomorrow evening I plan to fill it back up and turn the heater on and see what happens.

I'd suggest letting the water get to room temperature on its own and then turn on the heater. Less wear and tear on the heater that way.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would turn the water on warm, stick your thermometer in the bucket and than turn it on after filled.

Back
Top Bottom