Fish that orevent algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
What small breed of fish will keep my tank free of algae? Are bristle noses any good?
And most importantly keep my plants algae free
I don't have any problems at the moment but prevention is better then a cure :) so I just simply want to prevent it.

The best way to prevent algae is to limit your light cycle and don't overfeed. If you are looking to prevent, there are ways to do that without buying another fish. Plecos (even the little ones) have a decent bioload, so adding them often means fewer other community fish.
Depending in the tank size, there are probably a few options for algae eaters if you are interested in them however. I am just saying only get them if you want the fish, not because you want to prevent algae. :)

Well if I do a proper light how long should I leave the light on?

Algae
The main thing is to address why you have Algae.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/algae/a/attackalgae.htm

Too much Light
Too much Food
Not enough Water Changes

It's one or all of them.
A little Algae is normal, a lot means something is out of balance.

I don't have an algae problem.
I do have algae eaters, but I supplement them.
Otos, snails and Shrimp. Plus LOTS of plants to compete with the Algae, plus lights are on timers, plus weekly PWCs.

My lights are on 8 hours a day.

Well my tank is a few days into a fishle cycle so that's not a problem at the moment. I keep my light on from 8am to 7pm. I'll be doing 10% water changes every week.
Does under stocking the tank help?

Banana mouse said:
Well my tank is a few days into a fishle cycle so that's not a problem at the moment. I keep my light on from 8am to 7pm. I'll be doing 10% water changes every week.

Part of it is how strong your light is, a weaker light can stay on a bit longer. If you have too much light you'll need to add CO2 or you'll grow an algae farm.

I plant my tanks heavily right from the start.
I have low light low tech small tanks (10g or less)
My lights run 4hours on/4off/4on. Or adjusted so I get to see my fish in the am and after work. Tanks are off during hottest part of day.

Banana mouse said:

Under stocking is always good.

The amount of water you change will depend on your water tests. I change 10-50% depending on what my tanks need. But usually I'm changing 25% except in my Shrimp only tank.

If you tell us what size the tank is, we can still give you a couple options in case you decide you like the fish. There are some incredibly cool algae eating type fish out there.

I like the idea of 7 ottos? And a bristle nose with some tiger barbs. The tank is 53 inches by 17inches by 17 inches

Back
Top Bottom