Fish_Fan's RCS Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Im making my Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank into a red cherry shrimp tank. Right now its cycled and has
Malaysian driftwood
2 Java Ferns
2 Mystery Snails
1 Nerite Snail
Some fake plants
I ordered 10 RCS from bob's tropical plants. Please tell me everything i need to know about RCS, this is my first shrimp tank. Thank youImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408917378.277742.jpg

I'd also add some java moss (or some other kind if moss). You could tie it to your driftwood and it will look killer. Cherries love moss since they can feed on the microscopic bugs that grow in it. Plus it provides a nice dense place to get some cover, especially for the babies that will inevitably come along. Maybe throw in some rocks and make some caves too. The more hiding places, the more confident they will feel to be out and about. You might also want to research cuttlebone or Wonder Shells from American Aquarium Products. They'll slowly add calcium ions to the water that the shrimp and snails will love and keep shells healthy.

Overall though, I find them to be quite hardy and fun to watch. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thank you i will probably get some java moss

New shrimp!

Sounds exciting.

RCS are very fun and pretty hardy. Sometimes the shipping can be hard on them but since they waited for better weather it should be good.

Already shot out some info on PM but now that you have them and you have this thread. It should go here.

Congrats on the new additions for your tank.

Some info on them in a Edge tank is they are very hard to get out. If you need to get them out. A fishing net about 3" wide is good but I had to custom bend mine so it would catch the shrimp in the weird corners, also had to bend up the handle as well. So I would suggest a not too heavy duty special net.

I got the one Fluval sells for it and it didn't do much for my being able to catch them.

The Gravel vac is good. You should vac well before the shrimp have the babies. Also get a white bucket for pwc. This allows you to see babies if you suck them up in the pwc/vac.

You let the water settle in the bucket then gently swirl the water in a circle. The fry scatter in jerky motions and dart out of the swirl allowing you to see them and you can then net them. Also get a Solo cup with the white color inside. You can take a bunch of debris and check for babies the same way only up close.

Think of how tiny their stomachs are... so very tiny, I was told to think of their stomach like the size of their eye, and to feed that size amount 1-2x per day.

You can always scoop out uneaten food but to me it is better to not have to take that chance.

Also recommend not to use flake food, unless it is super high quality. It can turn to ammonia very fast and as you know poor water quality is bad news.

Hope everything worked out and they are doing great.

Thanks! So if they have babies should i feed them daily? And what food? I feed the others veggie wafers

Back
Top Bottom