Fishless 5.5 gallon cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm fishless cycling my 5.5, and I have substrate from my 55 gallon in it, and I used shrimp as an ammonia source (I work at a grocery store, got it for .25), after a week ammonia shot up to 8.0, so I've since taken the shrimp out. It has read 8.0 for a second week along with 5.0 nitrites. So I've done 2 75% water changes, and finally the ammonia is around 4.0. I also got a .5 nitrAte reading today. I'm just wondering if things are going ohk, and will my ammonia go down eventually because for a whole week I've had both sky-high nitrItes and ammonia!

yeah, things are going ok. Good idea on the water changes, levels that high can be toxic to even the bacteria.

Just keep an eye on things, I think you're on the right path.

Sounds like a good start. Your probably about half way or so. Give it time along with some more PWC when needed. They will start to go down.

Agreed with all above post

Just would like to recommend you to test the water with liquid API test kits, not with the "infamous" strips, which are super inaccurate.

Oh I for sure use API lol It makes me feel like this college knowledge is being put to use:) Just going to wait it out then. Sooner or later something will zero out

Back
Top Bottom