Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EnzoTheBaker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All!,
I’m new to the forum and I am hoping that someone can help me.
I have just started back into the hobby after 20 years.(yes I’m an old guy)
My question is this. I set up a 125 gallon about 5 weeks ago and I am doing a fishless cycle. I added Fritz enzyme 7 as a starter and was feeding the aquarium Fritz fishless fuel. I went through 2 bottles of this and now I am using Dr. Tim’s as a food source,My cycle seems almost complete. I have been adding the Dr. Tim’s to bring the level to 2 PPM and within 24 hours nitrites are about .25 PPM and the same with ammonia.25-.75 PPM. Would adding a maintenance dose of Seachem Stability help to move the process along?
BTW PH 8.1 , Nitrates 80 PPM. I’m dying to get some African Cichlids in this bad boy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

FritzZyme 7 and Seachem Stability are both bottled bacteria. Any reason why you are considering a change?

These products are a bit and miss. Depending on the conditions during storage, transportation etc all the beneficial bacteria might have died off before you even made your purchase. It shouldn't hurt anything to add a dose, although I have heard of Stability causing nitrite spikes before though. Often heard it refered to as "nitrite in a bottle".

Aiken,
Just ease of obtaining it. No one carries Fritz products in any of the stores here.
Just was trying to help the cycle along.
Not sure if it will make a difference or not. Just did not want to screw up the cycle.

Dont want to be seen as knocking stability as ive never used it, just things ive heard and something to look for if you do use it.

Personally ive had best results with Dr Tims One and Only as a bottled bacteria product.

I cant see adding bottled bacteria being any detriment, but don't expect it to be a magic bullet either.

I'm pretty conservative in the cycling process. I don't add anything at all. All this stuff sold is hit or miss. Beneficial bacteria find their way into the tank through the air. But I do agree that adding a piece of sponge or something from an established tank will be helpful. Patience is the key.

Finally Cycled !

Thanks for the input everyone.
I just added my first four fish.
OB peacock
Strawberry Peacock
Red Fin Borleyi
Electric Blue Ahli
I’ll post pics once I can get them acclimated a bit.

Back
Top Bottom