Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a kh tester. Just the AP FW Master Test Kit. I did a 50% water change last night, and it's back in my range. Checking all my parameters again tonight.

I just posted about the KH testkit in your other thread.. I would suggest that you test your tapwater to see if its the problem..
HTH

Wednesday Nov 30, 2005
Day 17 Results....

ph - 7.0
Ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - .5ppm
nitrate - not checked.
Temp 78.4

How close am I to being cycled?

Looks like pretty darn close. With the fish I have, I don't think it would be like adding 2ppm ammonia in one shot, so I may be adding my fish in a day or 2. Adding 2ppm ammonia tonight. If my ammonia is 0 tomorrow, and nitrites are under .5, will do a regular pwc and add fish. It won't be a lot of fish, just my 3 sharks, 2 dojo's, 1 yoyo, and 2 eels. Then in a week, will get 2 or 3 more yoyo's to keep him company. Then a couple weeks down the road, will think about what to do with the mid to upper tank, like tiger barbs or rasboras/tetras combo. Still have time to think on that one. Everything just 1 step at a time, and adding new fish 7-10 days apart til I'm stocked. :)

Oops, I boo-boo'd. I added a little more than 2ppm. My readings are close to 4ppm. If it goes to 0 by tomorrow, and the nitrites almost 0, then I think I'm ready to add a few fish. Will start out slowly. Will keep you posted.

make sure to test that NO3 after your NO2 is down to zero.. wouldnt want you to have NO3 problems at the start.. :p
btw. it looks like it might be close. :D

Thursday Dec 1, 2005
Day 18 Results....

ph - <6.0
Ammonia - 1ppm
nitrite - 2ppm
nitrate - not checked.
Temp 78.6

It did it again, crashed. I just did an 80% water change. And added more ammonia, just tested the water, it's about 3ppm. Goofed again, put too much in. I'm going to start putting a little less ammonia in tomorrow to see if the nitrites catch up with the ammonia going to 0. Not sure if I'm just putting too much in. Since I had nitrites, didn't bother with the nitrates. But I did do a 80% water change just in case nitrates are building up too much. Will do another pwc tomorrow.

I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy, I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday Dec 2, 2005
Day 19 Results....

ph - 7.0
Ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - Between 10-20ppm.
Temp 78.8

Ammonia and Nitrite were both 0, with a ph of 7.0. :) So I checked nitrates. Will do another water change and add more ammonia. Will be adding ammonia til Sunday, my day off, then will add fish. Took 19 days............. 0X

Will be putting them in on Sunday, and then take pics. Til then will feed the bacteria ammonia,to keep things in shape. :)

I added a little ammonia this morning, 2ppm, and now, 11 hrs later, ammonia is at 1ppm and nitrite is at .5ppm. Nitrite is keeping up with the ammonia, which is a good thing. :)

By tomorrow it should be both down to 0. Then I can add my fish. Will take the time, since it's my day off, and acclimate them properly. The guys at my work says to just fish them out and dump them in the new tank. No wonder they always lost fish when they had tanks. :)

Still can't put fish in. Here's my readings...

Sunday Dec 4, 2005
Day 21 Results....

ph - 7.0
Ammonia - 1ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 20ppm
Temp 78.9

Kind of strange. Will see what happens later today. It's strange I still have ammonia, but no nitrites, and ample nitrates. So looks like ammonia might still be a little slow, but nitrates are going hand in hand with the ammonia. Will check this afternoon.

I was thinking about that myself. But I can wait a few hours, as it's still really cold this morning. Will wait til after lunch and do a test, then a PWC, as I do have nitrates that I could bring down.

This will be my final post for this thread. If the admins and mods would like to use this thread as a successful fishless cycle reference, you are very welcome to. Here's my daily result today...

Sunday Evening Dec 4, 2005
Day 21 Results....

ph - 7.2
Ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - Between 10 and 20ppm
Temp 78.7

Big success. Tank had a little ammonia when fish were introduced, .25ppm. Now, 5 hours later, even with all the fish, ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0. Job well done. Fish are happy. Eels seem very happy, love their new home.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66899

Outstanding thread. (y) Kudos to you (only 25 because my kudos total is still pretty meager, but it's the thought that counts).

Back
Top Bottom