Fishless Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just setup my new 90 gallon tank and I am opting to do the fishless cycle method. How exactlly does it go do I go to the supermarket, by an uncooked shrimp and throw it in my tank? Also how long does the tank usually take to cycle?

For a 90 you would need several, but yes you have the general idea. You can also use pure ammonia. I happen to prefer the shrimp method, may not be as precise but much easier and safer. A normal cycle without seeding takes 6-8 weeks.

If you look in the articles section there are several excellent articles about fishless cycling. Good luck.

Check the articles section, there's an article that describes the process and what to do, what to watch for, etc. Feel free to ask any questions here!

I differ from Rich in I prefer the ammonia method. The shrimp method is easier and safer as far as not needing to adjust anything. The ammonia method is a few days faster IMO.

Definitely read the articles...
I recently did my first, fishless cycle with ammonia, lots of seed material, and the watchful eye of neilanh.....IMO you can never have enough seed material...it will speed things up quite a bit

Ammonia for me too however, it can not be understated that you need to get the right kind of ammonia. You want something that says Ammonium Hydroxide, most that I have seen are 10%

This is where the danger comes in. If you get the wrong ammonia, anything like perfumes, soaps,colors, or something called surfactants, you are in a world of hurt. Ace hardware is a good source for this ammonia if you have one in your area. If you have any doubts what so ever about the ammonia you want to use, post a picture of the label and ask questions here.

Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom