Fishless cycle(Ammonia not dropping)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigermichiko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
Last sunday I started to cycle my 60gallon tank
two aqua clear 70 gallon,bubblewand,heater at 81
and I bought ammonia with no soap at ace hardware
I dosed the tank to 4ppm ammonia,it is stll 4ppm
I also added 2 pinches of ground fish food.

My question is its now Wednesday about to be Thursday and my ammonia is not dropping.

What should I do?

So it has been 5 days? Continue as you are. It can take up to 2-3 weeks to see the ammonia drop. It will not happen this quickly.

Yeah took me at least 3 weeks to see any change. Hang in there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It going to take a while like the others said because essentially you're trying to establish good bacteria in your tank, to a point where it takes care if ammonia in a timely fashion. But first the bacteria has to actually GET to your tank. (Which has always kind of astounded me if you think about it) it'll take some time but take heart in the fact that it's in the best interest of your future fish! ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You need a lot of patience to do a fish less cycle but it is better than harming fish. However, the best way to speed up the process is to seed your filter with BB. I wouldn't waste your money on bottled bacteria from the LFS, very unreliable. See if you can get some filter media from another fish keeper or even the LFS if they are willing to help and put it in your filter. You don't need a lot to kick start the process.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom