Fishless cycle--Ammonia zero, re-dosed, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
15 gallon column

Fish less - Cycle Day 28 (no seeded media)

PH 7.4 (dbl chked w/ High Range & regular pH tests)
Ammonia 4.0ppm
NitrIte 5.0ppm+
nitrAte 10ppm
TEMP 84 F

HOB (Aqueon kit) w/ bio-sponge (non-seeded)
8" bubble wand
Not planted
API FW Master Test

I don't want to miss any steps, but I think I'm doing good now. At what point w/ the NitrAtes or NitrItes do I need to do a PWC? I have done 2 PWC b/c I have a minor algae bloom at the moment but had a bad 1 before I started my fish less cycle. I think the residual algae is my problem now not any other environmental factors.

Just wait really lol. How long have you had high nitrites and when was the last water change? If nitrites have been 5+ for over a week and you haven't done a water change in that time, you could do one or two complete water changes to try to get the nitrites to a readable level on the chart. If you've done a water change in the past week though I'd say wait it out a bit more. You're just waiting for nitrites to drop to 0; the nitrite phase is the longest so just hang in there.

Thks Librarygirl! This is the 1st day the NitrItes have been that high. I'm hoping since the first part of my cycle, the ammonia reaching zero the 1st time (w/ no seeded media), maybe this part of the cycle won't be so long! Ha ha... I'm always hearing this part takes 2x as long but I also feel like the only person w/out seeded media!! I'm being patient but I also didn't want to miss something like a PWC, etc & waste a week, KWIM?

Sooooo... I just wait & when NitrAtes finally get super high do a PWC? Or do a PWC to bring NitrItes down just so they're readable? And obviously, do PWC if the pH crashes--I wanna catch it befored that though. I guess I do best knowing what to approximately expect but I understand it won't be text book.

Since you're just seeing nitrites just wait it out a bit. The nitrite phase is the longest I'm afraid; it can take 3 weeks on average. Mine took 2.5. If your PH crashes or if nitrites are still high this time next weekend then I'd suggest a large water change to bring nitrites down to a readable level, but for now just keep dosing every 24 hours as needed. Nitrates will rise as nitrites are converted, that's normal.

Back
Top Bottom