fishless cycle brain fart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't remember at what nitrate ppm do you need to do the water change to prevent a stall?

Nitrate levels should not influence the cycling process. I could be wrong.
I think you mean nitrite. If so, maybe > 5 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some people believe they do, some don't. They do make it hard to read the test.

Mine got above 100 I believe and didn't stall the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I wouldn't be concerned about nitrates stalling the cycle. At least in systems as small as our aquariums.

I would be more concerned with ph stalling the cycle. If you have very high nitrate readings then this indicates a lot of nitrification. The waters alkalinity that is keeping the ph stable is used up during the nitrification process so ph could drop. According to some studies. If ph drops below 6 the cycle will stall because the bacteria will no longer function.

It's always worthwhile to do at least a couple of water changes during a fishless cycle to replenish these buffers.

Counteracting the productivity of the bacteria by removing the food is negligible if the bacteria can't operate. The tank WILL inevitably cycle with water changes. Without them...it may not. Depends on your source waters buffering capacity.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom