fishless cycle coming around, have question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergie615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a little over two weeks into my fishless cycle and I have a couple questions. I've used the process of bringing the ammonia levels straight up to 5-6ppm right away. I'm still adding ammonia and still have a filter sock from a tank at work floating.....using quick dip multi test strips....my ammonia is 0-0.5 and holding and my nitrite and nitrate are now spiking at 10+ and 200 respectively. I know I can bring down the nitrate with water change but I can't recall about nitrite. Is it a wait until the spike comes down or do I need to help it down? Also, I have some stringing algea starting to grow on one of my fake pieces of driftwood, anything I can do our just wait until I get fish to take care of it?

Thanks....Fergie

my ammonia is 0-0.5 and holding and my nitrite and nitrate are now spiking at 10+ and 200 respectively.
I would do a 50% water change to bring down both nitrites and nitrates. The bacteria needed to convert nitrite to nitrate are there since you have nitrates. Keeping the levels so high, is not helping.
Also, I have some stringing algea starting to grow on one of my fake pieces of driftwood, anything I can do our just wait until I get fish to take care of it?
This has to do with all the nutrients in the tank. Nitrates are simply plant fertilizers.

FWIW, invest in a liquid test kit for water parameters, they are more reliable. Also try to put the filter sock in the filter (if there's room), the bacteria will establish more quickly.

Menagerie..... thanks for the info. I'm running a fluval 304 and the filter sock is a round tube from a hang on, so I just have it sitting in the middle of the tank on the gravel. I'm going to do a water change this evening....can I vacuum out some of the free floating debri from the filter sock or just leave it all until done with cycling.

Thanks.....oh yeah, I plan on getting a proper liquid test kit....the strips just seemed to be quick and easy for cycling.

Did a 50% water change on monday and tuesday....nitrite,nitrate came down a bit but nothing dramatic. Still adding approx 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia per day with no reading on ammonia dip test showing....still have nasty looking filter sock sitting on bottom of tank. This is a 55 gal tank by the way.

Anything different I should be doing or just let them go on as is?

Also when then time comes for fish, do I....pull out the filter sock floating...do a 50% water change to drop any rems of nitrate...buy fish...acclimate...net to tank....Let me know if anything sounds funky

Thanks... Ferg

I would put the sock in a filter basket if it fits. This will spead up the bacteria growth.
deeni0z-If the filter is doing it's job, then the water is aerated and the bacteria will get the oxygen that way.

What are your exact readings for nitrite and nitrate?

When the ammonia and nitrite are 0 or undectable, you are ready for fish. That means there is enough bacteria to deal with fish waste. If you look in the filter, can you see brown specs developing--bacteria colonies?
If you are doing 50% water changes and the nitrite and nitrate are not changing dramatically, I suspect the strips you are using are not working properly. Break out the liquid test kit, or have a LFS test the water. Then we'll talk fish :D

Back
Top Bottom