Fishless Cycle--Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have done a 50% pwc, have you restested the nitrite a couple of hours after the pwc? And is it 1.5? I am doubting your nitrite is actually 1.5ppm as long as it has been as well. I would do exactly what Wizzard of Ozz is suggesting and post back the results.

Okay, how many drops should I add of the nitrite solution? I know 5 drops but that is just for 5ml...

Duh! :lol: Stupid Marconis :oops:

*I tested.

It started off a little bit under 1 when I first added the test, then slowly developed to around 1.5, maybe 1.3. What's this mean...

It looks like 0 is correct, But anything else is erroring..

try taking some water to the LFS or even a petsmart. have them verify your readings.

This is exactly what mine did...
Not trying to be negative or anything, but mine did this for 11 days, then all of a sudden... BAM

and the LFS got the same readings I did...

I would say yes. Were all your test kits bought at the same time? I'm wondering if they are stale. Bring some water with you and have them test it quick.. I'm pretty sure that you'll find it's quite alright for the fishies.. try 1/2 your stock list first (the cheaper half), let the tank get used to them, then in a couple weeks start adding in the rest, 1 species at a time.

Alright..well, I can't get fish today, but I am going to store to pick up a few things anyway and I have to return something.

I have to order THR before I put fish in.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I would say yes. Were all your test kits bought at the same time? I'm wondering if they are stale. Bring some water with you and have them test it quick.. I'm pretty sure that you'll find it's quite alright for the fishies.. try 1/2 your stock list first (the cheaper half), let the tank get used to them, then in a couple weeks start adding in the rest, 1 species at a time.

I would agree, and if you are worried, you can go even smaller to start with. Maybe pick out the hardiest few fish you plan on keeping and start there. The only drawback is that you will take a little longer to reach final stock levels. That is not always a bad thing either.

I just returned from Petsmart and my other LFS. I am not even going to go into how petsmart annoyed me, but my nitrite level is in fact 1.5.

This is what the guy at my LFS recommended.

He said I should do a 90% PWC, and then add Bio Spira (i tihnk thats what it is called). I did buy it but can return it if I have to, I wanted to check in with everyone to see what you say. It is in my fridge. I am concerned however, what effect teh 1.5 nitrites will have on the bio-spira.

Also, I bought four rocks with holes in them and want to stack them. Should I do this on my next PWC, or wait til cycling is done as not to disturb the sand?

I don't know about the bio spira, but will tell you that I considered it when I was there.

As for the rocks, you won't hurt anything if you do it now, so go ahead and decorate, and provide pics of course.

I did a 90% PWC, and then after about 45 min. I tested. 1.5 nitrites. I made a separate thread about the bio-spira.

*Bio-Spira added at 10:06 PM

I replied in your separate thread but wanted to make some comments after seeing this updated posting.

First with the rocks:

-it's fine to go ahead and put them in now, but I would rinse them well under scalding tap water (no detergents or anything, just hot water). Then shake them out so there isn't a stream of water and drop them in. They will be great for adding biological filtration to the tank once it gets established. If you are going to do the Biospira I would have the rocks in the tank first so some can get established on the rock.

Now the Biospira:

The elevated nitrIte levels you are seeing will not effect the bacteria in the biospira. Just like high levels of ammonia are fine for the natural bacteria you seeded with, higher levels of nitrIte then normal are also fine when no fish are present.

I would add in the Biospira personally as you already own it and it shouldn't cause any harm. It just might not do anything. Keep up with the ammonia dosing so that it never completely bottoms out.

Also do you have live plants in the tank? I'm concerned you are showing low/no nitrAtes. Your cycle has been going for quite some time and I would assume you should have quite a bit of nitrAte present.... Before this last large PWC, when did you do a PWC? (you keep saying previously your test was "incorrect", what does that mean?)

Something still does not sit well with me about his nitrite levels. If he is adding basically a whole tank of water that tests 0 for nitrite, and his test after the water has been replaced still reads 1.5, something does not add up.

Since the water has been tested at the LFS you begin to think that this 1.5 is accurate. It just feels like there is something in the tank that is contaminating the test. I'm having a hard time understanding how you can replace so much water and not dilute the nitrite at all???

Marconis and I have talked about this quite a bit in the chatroom. I can also answer 7s question about the nitrAte levels.

Remember, mine did this same exact thing. My NitrIte was stuck at 1.5 for 11 days. During that time, my nitrAte level always consistently read 6ppm. It never waivered at all.

After 11 days, I decided to skip dosing ammonia, and the next day my nitrIte level was down to 0.5ppm and my nitrAte level all of a sudden read 120ppm. This is why Nick is stating that his nitrAte level is unreadable or inaccurate, based on the fact it's doing the same thing that mine did, and there's no way 114ppm of nitrAte was developed over night in my case.

I am convinced in my mind that other factors are at work here. Something is in the tank that is corrupting the NO2 and NO3 levels. It may very well be that his cycle is long since completed, and there's some other phenomena that's causing whacked out readings when we test for NO2 and NO3.

Now here's the kicker I just thought of just now. When I was starting to suspect my test kit was potentially erroring, I took some water to the LFS to have them test it. They tested with the API kit and got the same readings. However, they happened to have an open bottle of nitrAte test strips laying around, so we dipped one of those. The API was reading 5-6ppm on the nitrAte (both my test and the LFS test), but the strips showed a reading of 60. I'm wishing now I would've had them dip a nitrIte strip to see what that read. While I know the strips aren't as accurate as the chemical test - in this instance it's gives a data point that shows a major inconsistency here. At the time I blew off this piece of data believing that the test strip reading was bogus. I'm not convinced of that anymore.

So, I believe that something is causing the reagents in the test kits to react when they shouldn't based on all this info, and the fact that it is just too bizarre that Nick's cycle is following the footsteps of mine almost identically up until when he added biospira last night. The past several days Nick has skipped at least 2 days of dosing. So, in any 24 hour period, he either starts with 2ppm of ammonia, and ends up with 1.5ppm of nitrIte, or he starts with 0ppm ammonia, and ends up with 1.5ppm nitrIte. This doesn't make any sense assuming the nitrIte levels to be accurate. If 2ppm ammonia changes over to 2ppm nitrIte - then he's converting 2ppm nitrIte in that 24 hour period. So if he starts with 0ppm ammonia, he should still be converting 2ppm nitrIte in that period, which is not evident based on the nitrIte readings.

With my cycle, when I did finally skip dosing, things kicked over - however I believe that to be potentially purely coincidental that it happened at that time, and think that if I had dosed ammonia that day, the same thing would've possibly happened with the nitrIte level.

What is driving me nuts, especially being an engineer, is that I cannot figure out what it could be. I don't necessarily believe that whatever is corrupting things (if that's what is happening) to be harmful to the bacteria or even to fish, it's just causing a chemical reaction with some ingredient in the NO2 test kit and possibly inhibiting something in the NO3 test kit.

And like Sparky said - if he really did have 1.5ppm nitrIte present, and changed out almost all of the water with tap water which has tested at 0ppm nitrIte, there's no possible way that he could've gotten 1.5 again after the PWC. The nitrIte would have gone away, or at the very least been diluted down to almost nothing. That again is what's leading me to believe there's something else present that's simply reacting with the chemical reagent other than actual nitrIte.

Just some thoughts of mine...

Back
Top Bottom