fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeosh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am very new to this. Just started the fishless cycle method about a week and a half ago. I added enough ammonia to get a 4ppm reading after a couple days it dropped a bit, but no nitrates or nitrites so I added enough ammonia to get back to 4ppm it had been about 11 days and have seen no other readings except ammonia. water is at 82 degrees. Does this sound normal to you guys am I doing this right? in the meantime im gonna surf this forum and learn all I can. Thanks for reading and helping.

If you don't have any material from an established tank, like gravel or a filter, then yes, it is going to take a long time.

I looked back at my log from my 29g about 2 years ago and it took 2 months for the tank to cycle. Be patient.

Don't add more ammonia until the reading goes down to 0. Then you can start dosing at about 1-2ppm, which is enough to keep the bacteria alive.

If you don't have any material from an established tank, like gravel or a filter, then yes, it is going to take a long time.

I looked back at my log from my 29g about 2 years ago and it took 2 months for the tank to cycle. Be patient.

Don't add more ammonia until the reading goes down to 0. Then you can start dosing at about 1-2ppm, which is enough to keep the bacteria alive.
Thanks for the reply, so even though I have no nitrates or nitrites and the ammonia is dropping I should wait till it hits 0 and then add somemore is this correct?

Welcome to AA! :)

I agree with Sum. Use some seed media if at all possible. I would maintain the 4 ppm level though so that you can stock aggressively when the time comes.

First off, welcome to AA! :)

Now, down to business :robot: What size tank do you have? This is the article I used to cycle my tank, and it worked really good for me: Fishless Cycling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums My tank cycled in exactly 4 weeks. Yours could take less time or longer. I added pure ammonia to get my levels to 4 and then kept it at about 1 with fish food crushed up daily. What are you using for your ammonia source? Make sure it doesn't have any detergents or anything in it because that could kill off your bacteria. Glad you decided to fishless cycle! It is easier for the fish and as far as I know it is actually quicker that way.

First off, welcome to AA! :)

Now, down to business :robot: What size tank do you have? This is the article I used to cycle my tank, and it worked really good for me: Fishless Cycling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums My tank cycled in exactly 4 weeks. Yours could take less time or longer. I added pure ammonia to get my levels to 4 and then kept it at about 1 with fish food crushed up daily. What are you using for your ammonia source? Make sure it doesn't have any detergents or anything in it because that could kill off your bacteria. Glad you decided to fishless cycle! It is easier for the fish and as far as I know it is actually quicker that way.
Hi there thank you for the welcome. First off i have a 29g tank. I am using an ammonia that has no scents or detergents when i shake it the few bubbles pop instantly, so i know its pure. I will check out your link thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom