Fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLoxy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Welp after being a total noob and introducing my betta to a brand new 5.5 gallon tank and freaking out 5 days later when the tank was mad cloudy and he was so upset, I decided to google. Realized you had to do a cycle and that I was probably burning our little Epic alive. I abandoned ship, put him back in his one gallon and after spending a hundred bucks on stuff I was missing am now in the middle of fishlessly cycling his 5 gallon mansion :)

I am about 2 weeks into his cycle with fish food. I needed some help deciphering if we are on the right track.

Ammonia level is at 2 - 4ppm
Nitrite at .25ppm
Nitrate at 10 - 20ppm

Does that sound about right?

Welcome!
It looks like its on track. IMO you should have him in the 5.5g tank and be doing a fish in cycle. He is in an uncycled 1 gallon bowl that will be constantly cycling and will need a large water change every 1-2 days. IMO he would be better off in the larger tank with more water to dilute the toxins and water changes (which you should be doing on the bowl anyway).
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

BEGINNERS GUIDE
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Looks good to me. You could test your tap water to just to see what you're starting with in terms of levels.

Since you already have the Betta though and he's in a 1 gal which isn't cycled either (and the smaller the bowl the less time it takes for toxins to build up) you could move him back to his home and just monitor the water levels daily and do a water change as needed when you see ammonia and/or nitrite creep up. Here's the link for fish-in cycling if you wanted to do it that way: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

He is right now in a one gallon bowl? Is this bowl filtered, heated and cycled? If not he might be more comfortable in the larger tank and you could do a 'fish in' cycle. It's not that hard to change two or three gallons a day. Something to think about.

Edit: guess we all has the same thought at the same time. ;)

I change his bowl every 2-3 days. He's in hospital right now being treated for fin rot, bless him. He's been through so much. But he is on the mend. Eating again and his fins are growing back! He is fine. I'm more concerned about his new home being perfect when he's ready!!

I think everyone makes that mistake initially. Don't feel bad - I overcrowded a 12 gallon with fish and had no clue what cycling even was. Killed a tetra and my favorite luxurious guppy :(

You live, you learn. I'm just glad to hear your betta made it.

+1 on putting him back in the 5.5, as there will be less ammonia concentrate in a bigger tank... sounds like you're on the right track though!

Back
Top Bottom