Fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle around 2-3 weeks my testing has been good so far using the API master freshwater test kit to help so the problem is that my nitrites were getting very 5+ppm so I've done a couple pwcs in the last couple of days to help get the nitrites down my ammonia is converting from 4ppm to 0 in 24hrs which I know is normal but today when testing my ph was at 6.0 and normally it sits at 7.2 I noticed it slowly dropping yesterday it was 6.6-6.8 range today 6.0 I don't understand why it dropped I did a pwc to help buffer hopefully so my results of today's test was ph6.0 ammo.25 ppm nitrite .5-1ppm nitrate 80ppm my nitrites use to be high until I changed the water yesterday to a more normal reading any help would be great

Ph drops are common when cycling. However if the PH falls below the mid 6's it can keep the bacteria from doing it's job and then the cycle stalls, which is what seems to be happening. Usually a large water change can help restore the PH but if it keeps falling you may need to buffer the water with something like crushed coral or aragonite (sold in most fish/pet stores in the saltwater section). Add a few teaspoons to a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and put it in your filter. Keep testing PH and add/remove coral as needed until you can get it to stabilize around 7. Once the PH stabilizes the cycle should continue.

Ph drops are common when cycling. However if the PH falls below the mid 6's it can keep the bacteria from doing it's job and then the cycle stalls, which is what seems to be happening. Usually a large water change can help restore the PH but if it keeps falling you may need to buffer the water with something like crushed coral or aragonite (sold in most fish/pet stores in the saltwater section). Add a few teaspoons to a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and put it in your filter. Keep testing PH and add/remove coral as needed until you can get it to stabilize around 7. Once the PH stabilizes the cycle should continue.

Ok thank you I didn't know pH drops were normal I did do a 25-50% PWC last night hopefully buffering the pH will be testing this morning in just a little bit I will look around today and find some thank you

OK just tested my pH is up a little
PH: 6.4
Ammo: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm these were close to 5 last night
Nitrates: between 20-40ppm
Should I water change again or have I stalles

So tested again I wasn't able to get crushed coral yet but I went through my tote of stuff and remembered that I had been given APIs 7.0 pH buffer I normally wouldn't use this stuff I forgot I even had it but I followed instructions and the following result
PH: 6.4-6.6
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm
Did my cycle crash to look cycled or did I finish cycling I'm confused should I do a large PWC then dose with ammonia and test in 24hrs

PH is better but still on the low side. The bacteria are probably "stunned" from the PH drops. Once the PH stabilizes around 7 then you should see more movement. I would do a larger water change (take out as much water as you can); this should bring the PH back up closer to your tap's PH. Then you can add some buffer if you want (fine to use when there's no fish in the short-term just while it's cycling to keep it stable if you can't get any crushed coral) then redose ammonia and check again in 24 hours.

PH is better but still on the low side. The bacteria are probably "stunned" from the PH drops. Once the PH stabilizes around 7 then you should see more movement. I would do a larger water change (take out as much water as you can); this should bring the PH back up closer to your tap's PH. Then you can add some buffer if you want (fine to use when there's no fish in the short-term just while it's cycling to keep it stable if you can't get any crushed coral) then redose ammonia and check again in 24 hours.

OK thank you I will be checking in just a bit still waking up then I'll do the water change

Just tested I only tested the pH it was at 6.4 still low so I'm doing a large water change now would 75-80% be OK or more

Went to LFS to get crushed coral couldn't afford 15$ a bag but he had the same stuff in solid form for a couple bucks a pound so 6$ 2 pounds I don't need that much

ForumRunner_20130616_152447.jpg

I broke a few small pieces off and put them in I'll check the pH in awhile

Ran a test pH: 6.4 that s a couple hours after WC ammo: 1.0 before wc i dosed ammonia last night, nitrite had risen to around 4ppm which is a good sign I take it should I wait to dose ammonia again even after the large water change earlier

So is the 6.4 after you added the coral or just after the water change? It's OK to dose ammonia again unless you're planning on doing another water change (no sense adding ammonia only to take it out again).

So is the 6.4 after you added the coral or just after the water change? It's OK to dose ammonia again unless you're planning on doing another water change (no sense adding ammonia only to take it out again).

6.4 after the water change I also tested before putting in coral I don't have a kh/GH tester yet my tap after gassing out has a 7.2 ph I also dosed ammonia last night and night before 24hrs apart cycle didn't stall thankfully saw my nitrites jump up again yesterday so good sign I take it I'll be testing again later tonight

OK just tested pH went down again to 6.0 so I added more coral and put some in my filter as well and doing another WC on the upside I think I'm cycled though. I put in 4ppm of ammonia last night at around 930pm and its down to 0 and so are the nitrites I didn't test nitrate though due to having one test tube broken I will test in all 4 tomorrow after redosing again tonight any thoughts on this

I tested earlier today round 11:30
On my lunch break it was in between 6.0-6.4 still very low should I just sit and wait a couple days for the coral to take effect also should I keep dosing ammonia every 24hrs as well

I just ran a full test the coral is working whoohoo lol
PH: 6.6
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm
I do believe I am cycled I will dose again tonight and test in 24hrs to see if its the same thank you some much

Back
Top Bottom