Fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovell2576

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and I need some advice. I have a biorb 60l which I have had for 8 weeks now and I decided to do a fishless cycle, which is proving to be a good learning experience but frustrating at the same time :)

About a week ago I realised my cycle had stalled. Ammonia was static at about 3ppm nitrite static at about .8 and nitrate static at 50-110ppm. I added some aqua clear balls when I started as they supposedly have bacteria in them to get me started so thats how I accounted for the nitrate levels.

I realised I had overdosed ammonia so I did a big water change, dosed ammonia up to between 1-2ppm and within 24 hours I am getting zero ammonia readings, which is a good sign. This is happening everytime I dose ammonia up.

Now I have Nitrite and Nitrate both off the scale, which I guess is also good, however, I am unable to get the levels down. Over the past 4 days I have changed 80l of water and still the levels are sky high. I have read that these high readings can stall the nitrite to nitrate cycle.

Current readings after a 60l water change are ammo 0 nitrite 3ppm+ and nitrate at least 110ppm

Am I being too impatient? Should I leave ammo at 0 for a bit to try and reduce the nitrite level?
Any advice appreciated

Mark

The nitrite consuming bacteria will eventually catch up. I would drop the ammonia dose down to 1ppm daily and call it good at that.

I agree with mebbid, in fact you really don't need to dose ammonia that often anymore, maybe only once every 2 or 3 days. Once the nitrite comes down you can up the dose to 2-3 ppm daily and then eventually 4 if you want.

Agree with advice from Mebbid and Fishperson and sounds like everything is going "swimmingly" ;)

Phew so I am still on track. Thank you all for your replies, I will keep you posted on the results. I kept fish before but did not go into much detail. This time around i decided to learn a few things. The great thing about the fishless is you learn about the cycle which I have actually enjoyed and also the fact I give the fish a happy home and I dont sacrifice them to cycle the tank. Its worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom