Fishless Cycle Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyderFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I attempting to complete my first fishless cycle. My tank is 30gal and I am on my 18th day in my cycle. The first week or so I didn't see a ton of activity. High ammonia and small traces of nitrite. At about 1.5 weeks in I saw large spikes in both nitrite and nitrate that were off the API liquid test readings. At that point I did a 50% water change. The nitrates did come to about 25ppm however the nitrites stayed very high. I continued to dose my ammonia up to about 4ppm. Yesterday, I took my readings and my nitrites were at 0ppm while my nitrates had skyrocketed to about 60-80ppm. Are these the workings of a proper cycle or is there something I can do?

Also my pH had stayed around 7.0 but for the last week I have seen a steady drop and now I am getting constant reading of 6.0. I tried two more 50% water changes and dosed my water conditioner at a high level but still I am at 6.0pH. My tap water registers at about 6.8pH. I've read to be patient as the cycling process can fluctuate the pH, but I've seen testaments to crush coral and baking soda. Please Help!

You're doing well for 3 weeks in! Are you able to convert ammonia to 0 in 24 hours after dosing? If so and you're nitrite spiked then dropped you could be about done. I am concerned about the PH drop though; common when cycling but the bacteria don't like a PH that's too low. Right now you can do a couple of things:

--try another large water change (a full one if you can manage it) to try to get PH back up to about 7. Wait an hour, test everything to see where you're starting from, then redose ammonia and let us know what it reads in 24 hours.
--also leave a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test it's PH. This is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be normally. Sometimes the PH out of the tap can change as the water gasses off.

Since you seem to be at the end of the cycle you might not need to get the coral. If you want to get some you certainly can though; put a teaspoon in a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and put it in your filter if it'll fit or near the filter intake. Add/remove coral as needed to get it to your true PH, which is probably around 7.

SInce your nitrites just dropped I'd keep dosing ammonia for another few days or so just to make sure nitrites stay at 0 and ammonia keeps going to 0. If that happens then I'd say it's safe to do the large water change, turn the heat down if you have it up for the cycle, and then get some fish. What fish are you planning on?

Welcome to AA, by the way!

Thank you for the help and kind welcome!

I am still not able to convert ammonia to 0 in 24hrs although I have been continually getting closer.

Last night (2/9) I did about a 90% water change on my tank and waited an hour to test my levels, which were as followed:
Ammonia~.5ppm
Nitrite~0ppm
Nitrate~10ppm
pH~ 6.8

At that point I dosed ammonia back up to 4.0ppm and left a glass of tap water out to gas off.

Tonight (2/10) I tested my levels again, which were as followed:
Ammonia~1ppm
Nitrite~2ppm
Nitrate~30ppm
pH~6.4
Gassed off tap water pH~6.7

I feel like I am headed in the right direction but I am still a little concerned about how the pH continues to drop after water changes. I think I am going to try and pick some crushed coral up tomorrow and see if that helps.

Trying not to get ahead of myself I haven't done too much research on my stocking. However, I am becoming fond of the cichlids especially the Acei and Demasoni. I also would like to have a spotted bristlenose Pleco. Would these be suitable to live together?

I suspect the low PH is playing a role here. I'd get some coral and try to get PH to around 7. Once you get the PH stable you should see some progression in the cycle (it already looks really good for 3 weeks in).

A 30 gal is a bit small for the Cichlids you mention. You could try dwarf cichlids, a pair of german blue or bolivian rams maybe with some other community fish. You might want to start a stocking question in the Cichlid forum as you'll get some good feedback there.

Back
Top Bottom