Fishless Cycle, Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquachris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I finished my fishless cycle, and added eight gold pristella tetras (five one day, three the next). I have a 50 gallon tank btw:

My cycle took slightly over 3 weeks (I did have a used fluval with some of the old ceramic rings still).

I followed the fishless cycle thread we have here, EXACTLY. Everything went nice and smooth. At the end, when my nitrites finally dropped to zero, I was happy, and knew I was finally cycled. zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and high nitrates :) So I did a 50% water change. didn't drop them. so a few hours later, did a 80% water change, and it dropped them to 10, which was great news. I was ready to add fish.

Well, so i add fish, and 24 hours later, tested again (API liquid test kit), and everything was perfect, except my nitrates went from 10, to 20 :( That big of a jump in just 24 hours. That's my problem. Now I know 20 is okay, and not harmful to the fish. But that much of a jump, in just 24 hours cannot be good, right? What can the problem be?

I don't have any plants in the tank btw. Rocks and driftwood (all clean and tank ready). My substrate is pool filter sand though. Silica Sand. I am thinking perhaps that can be the problem to my nitrates rising in just 24 hours? Nitrates come from dirty stuff, like in your filter, and possibly substrate right? Well my filter media has to be fine, since I just barely set it up 3 weeks ago, with new sponges, floss, etc. I'm worried about the sand. Any one else reading ever use sand in your FW tank??

i wouldnt worry about it. could just be on the high end of 10 and now on the low end of 20.

pool filter sand is a great substrate.

I agree, don't worry now, I found my self having once in a while strange readings in Nitrates, I think that this is the one test that it's a little tricky, be sure that you follow the instructions in the bottle, the " extra shaking of the second bottle", etc.

Just as a thought take a reading of your tape water, I saw in other threads tap water coming with levels of Nitrates.

BTW congratulations for doing a successful fishless cycle, your patience will pay you back with happy fish.
:p

Last edited:
Congrats on your fishless cycle, cant go wrong there. Like the others have mentioned Nitrates shouldnt be the major worry, more like the Ammonia and NiTRITE readings. I always have 0 Ammonia but now and then I do get a 0.1 Nitrite reading so I always keep that to zero as well. While my Nitrates are always in the safe region when doing readings.

Back
Top Bottom