fishless cycle nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey, i am about 2 and a half weeks into my fishless cycle. I have had nitrites for 5-6 days now, totally off the charts. I did a 60% water change the other day that made no difference. Should I continue doing water changes to get the nitrites to readable levels or just leave it? I've found conflicting things and just don't want to stall the cycle.

Thanks, Ben

For me when I was cycling my 20g, it felt like I stalled when my NitrItes go too high so I did water changes until it was readable...my NitrAtes were also high then too.

is this a general rule I should follow? Becuase I'm sure when I get it down to a readable level it will skyrocket again the next day.

Hopefully you will turn the corner shortly and it will start to come down. When nitrites get sky high things tend to slow or stop.

hmm ok hopefully things will pick back up again. Thanks for the help ill post here if I have any more problems with the cycle

For practicality sake instead of doing a perfect theoretical cycle, in my 20g, I did not wait for my tank to hit 0 for my NitrItes. I was dosing ammonia to 4 ppm each time.

My reasoning was that when I added my first fish to the tank, 3 Swordtails, they would not produce 4 ppm ammonia levels so that what little ammonia was converted to NitrItes would be small and that small amount converted to NitrAtes would be small too. I just changed water so that NitrItes was low and added fish. I did test everyday for a week and then every other day for another week finding that with a low bioload, water parameters were fine.

That was just me but I think it works if you stock slowly.

Back
Top Bottom