Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing a fishless cycle now for a little over a week and have no nitrites... Idk if this would be bad or good, but in my ten gallon uncycled tank I have high nitrites when I DNt do a water change every day... Can I tank some water from that tank and add it to my 36 gal tank... Or should I just be patient and wait it out lol

The water won't do anything to help a long the cycle. I'm guessing there is fish in the smaller tank? I wouldn't remove anything to help along the 36. You want the tank with fish to cycle as soon as possible.

Ok thank-you... and yea I did the ten gal before I became a member of this forum, and I didn't cycle it before I got them, I really didn't no anything about cycling. I have had that tank going for over a month idk y it will not cycle yet, but I keep doing my water changes... That's why I want the 36 gal to cycle so I can get my fish out of the ten gal and into the 36 gal.

Get some filter media or gravel from a friend ir a lfs if they will give you some. Just make sure it stays wet and if its gravel you can put it in a mesh bag. This will help speed up you cycle.

EDIT: What are you adding to increase the ammo?

I added tetra safe start bacteria.. And I have been adding dr tims aquatic ammonia.. I had to double the dose they recommended because it was kind of week on there recommended only brought it up at 2.0 ppm so...

With bac in a bottle or bag, i have heard that there like firworks. They work great im the begining but dies off very easy

So are all the fish moving from the 10 to the 36? If so, I would move them now. More water to dilute toxins. Move the fish and the filter from the 10 to the 36 after a massive water change to remove all the ammonia. Then continue the fish in cycle.

Well I would do that but there isn't anything in my tank just gravel.... I'm getting a huge order of stuff for my tank Wednesday. Where ill also get the live plants for the tank... So ill probably give it another week. with my daily water changes of 50 % there's barely any nitrites... If I wait more then a day, that's when it starts to build up. And lastly because of a new fish that I got from the pet store, he infected my tank with ick. I think it's 100 percent cured but one fish still has a bump, it's not white but I want to make sure it's not ick, so by Wednesday or Thursday I will definitely feel more comfortable putting them in the 36 gal.

Ok so I added plant food toMy tank yesterday that i am currently doing a fishless cycle on, only i still have no nitrites... and I just checked my nitrates and the went from 8.0 ppm to 20-40 ppm I'll attach a picture of how it looks... Is this from the plant food??. Should I do a 25% water change?? Thanks for the help
Dan

Attachments

• image-887886703.jpg
    image-887886703.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 41
Since its a fish less cycle I wouldn't worry about a water change unless the nitrates go over 40 or if you're going to move your fish from the 10g. What kind of ferts did you add for the plants? Its possible they contributed to the nitrates.

Ferts?? Srry I'm still new at all this.. The only thing I added was nutrafin plant gro here's a picture of it... I did a small water change about 30% .. And I found out that even though I soaked my driftwood it released more tannins into the water.... I didn't notice it until the water was in my white bucket... Will that raise nitrate??

Attachments

• image-3340194385.jpg
    image-3340194385.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom