Fishless Cycle Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amelia_brooks21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I just set up a new 5 gallon tank about 1 week ago and planned to start adding ammonia to begin a fishless cycle. I tested the water and the ammonia to begin with was at 2-3 ppm (I had not added any outside ammonia source-I am thinking it was from the substrate?) I tested nitrite and it was 0.

1 week later, the ammonia is still high, I have zero nitrite, but nitrate is at about 40-80.

I guess my question is, why do I have so much nitrate when my ammonia is still so high? Did I mess this up in some way? I have not yet needed to add ammonia because the level is staying between 2-4 ppm on its own.

I used top fin white sandy aquarium gravel mixed with some gravel I had in the basement that was in a previous aquarium. I have a piece of driftwood in there, a sponge filter, and the temp is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks everyone in advance!!

Hi!

I just set up a new 5 gallon tank about 1 week ago and planned to start adding ammonia to begin a fishless cycle. I tested the water and the ammonia to begin with was at 2-3 ppm (I had not added any outside ammonia source-I am thinking it was from the substrate?) I tested nitrite and it was 0.

1 week later, the ammonia is still high, I have zero nitrite, but nitrate is at about 40-80.

I guess my question is, why do I have so much nitrate when my ammonia is still so high? Did I mess this up in some way? I have not yet needed to add ammonia because the level is staying between 2-4 ppm on its own.

I used top fin white sandy aquarium gravel mixed with some gravel I had in the basement that was in a previous aquarium. I have a piece of driftwood in there, a sponge filter, and the temp is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks everyone in advance!!
Test your source water. You may have nitrate in it which is why it's showing up on your tests even tho you haven't finished cycling. You may also have chloramines ( a combination of chlorine and ammonia ) which is why you are getting an ammonia reading. If you are unsure, contact your water company and ask them if they use it. (y)

Do you have a source for R/O water? If you've had heavy rains in your area it wreaks havoc on water systems including ammonia and nitrates. If you put in some fast growing plants they will consume ammonia and nitrates and converting them into new leaves and roots. Once your tank is cycled you can take the plants out if you don't want them. By then you will have built up enough beneficial bacteria. Fishless cycling can be tricky. You could also add some bacteria to help speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom