Fishless Cycle update and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
As a quick recap, I added a half cup of ammonia to my 55 gal two weeks ago and realized after that was way too much. I did two very large water changes in the ensuing days and 5 days ago, after the second large water change got the ammonia down to around 4 ppm.

The ammonia stayed at 4 (or close to it) for 5 days. Today I tested for ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia was noticeably down, but not quite at zero yet, and nitrites were at least 5 ppm and probably more. I'm really excited that things seem to be moving along. I have two questions.

1) Is now the time to add more ammonia? If so, how much? I'm very cautious about the amount to add since I added way too much initially.

2) I'm going to be out of town this weekend and I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the cycle. Is there anything I can do to make sure the bacteria don't die off while I'm gone.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm really happy to see my nitrites spiking!

1 a couple drops at a time then test. keep to a target of 3-5ppm.
2 just does right before you leave and test when you get back.

Agree with the above. Once daily dose it back up to between 3-5ppm.

If you're only gonna be gone for 2 days, no worries. Dose it right up to 5ppm before you leave, dose it again right when you get back. You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom