Fishless cycle, waiting for nitrites to drop. Water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrumpyGills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally got ammonia --> nitrite about a week and a half ago. Now I can process about 1-2 ppm of ammonia every 24 hours.

My nitrites however have been off the charts since the second day they showed up. To combat this I have been doing 50% water changes every day since I have heard that too high levels can stall the cycle. Today I did a 75% water change just because I really wanted to see a reading that wasn't off the chart. This gave me a 2 or 5 ppm reading. So at the top end of the chart, but I can tell by the intensity of the purple that it isn't really off the chart like before.

Should I continue with the large daily water changes or lay off for a bit?

One more step and I can finally have fish!

When I was at this stage, I had to do three 70% changes in a row before I saw a nitrite reading that was not off the charts high. It's quite normal to get that at this stage of establishing the cycle.

Yes, you can continue to do large water changes to get those nitrite levels down. Also, consider being extra careful about how much ammonia you dose. The usual recommended level of 4ppm is quite high and results in those huge nitrite spikes. You can safely dose a bit less ammonia to make things a bit more manageable now.

Be aware that this stage, waiting for the nitrite -->nitrate bacteria to develop, takes longer than the first stage and it can often feel endless. So prepare yourself for feeling a bit impatient, and just keep going, you'll get there :)

Alright. I have been doing 75% water changes every day just to keep nitrites on the chart. I have only been dosing my ammonia to about 1 ppm every day, and it is gone the next day. I don't know where all these nitrites come from!

You are right about one thing... it does feel endless. A feeling intensified by reading all the successful 15-20 day cycles on floating around forums like this where ammonia drops by day 6 and nitrites follow a week later.

I am coming up on a month now since I started.

Keep at it. Water changes wont affect the cycle. You are on the right track by keeping those nitrites from skyrocketting too far.

The funny thing is when the nitrite bacteria develop to strength you will see the nitrites plummet in a very short time.

BTW, one month is not long for a first time fishless cycle without seeding material. I'd say hold the course.

Grumpy...I'm right here with you! Thank you for posting exactly what I was looking for. This is a great reinforcement of what I'm doing too! Happy waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just posted a thread about this a couple days ago. I'm stuck almost exactly where you are. What has me confused though is that my nitrAte is also extremely high, so the nitrIte is actually being consumed, but I guess it's just not fast enough. I'm on day 8 of my cycle, but I have two panty hose socks of gravel, and the sponge filter from an existing aquarium helping me out. It's so hard being patient, isn't it?!

I just posted a thread about this a couple days ago. I'm stuck almost exactly where you are. What has me confused though is that my nitrAte is also extremely high, so the nitrIte is actually being consumed, but I guess it's just not fast enough. I'm on day 8 of my cycle, but I have two panty hose socks of gravel, and the sponge filter from an existing aquarium helping me out. It's so hard being patient, isn't it?!

Joe, what are your readings? If you are 0 or near to 0 ammonia and nitrite, and high nitrates, that means your tank may be very close to cycled. Especially as you've got the sponge filter from your existing aquarium, which presumably is chock full of the good bacteria :)

Joe, what are your readings? If you are 0 or near to 0 ammonia and nitrite, and high nitrates, that means your tank may be very close to cycled. Especially as you've got the sponge filter from your existing aquarium, which presumably is chock full of the good bacteria :)

I'm keep on getting Nitrites that are off the chart. I've done three large water changes to combat that, and I can get them onto the charts, but it will not go down to zero. I've begun dosing only 1ppm ammonia now to help control the spike, so we'll see how it goes. I have no idea how long I should expect to wait for the nitrites to go to zero on their own, but I would think I'm close given that I have a high nitrate count as well.

I'm keep on getting Nitrites that are off the chart. I've done three large water changes to combat that, and I can get them onto the charts, but it will not go down to zero. I've begun dosing only 1ppm ammonia now to help control the spike, so we'll see how it goes. I have no idea how long I should expect to wait for the nitrites to go to zero on their own, but I would think I'm close given that I have a high nitrate count as well.

That was my experience too, nitrites so high it took many water changes just to get a not off the scale reading. I think dosing a lower ammonia amount is a good idea. I think this stage took about a week and a half for me, maybe longer. I got really despondent, I was sure it would NEVER cycle. I was investigating bacteria-in-a-bottle, ready to give up. But then...it finally ended and I got those magic colours in my tests :)

One thing I'm wondering in retrospect, is that apparently dechlorinators like Prime MIGHT slow down the cycle. Not everyone agrees that this is true, but it might be worth being extra careful not to overdose with whatever dechlorinator you are using. But put in just enough to get rid of the chlorine - don't want to zorch the bacteria, after all :)

That was my experience too, nitrites so high it took many water changes just to get a not off the scale reading. I think dosing a lower ammonia amount is a good idea. I think this stage took about a week and a half for me, maybe longer. I got really despondent, I was sure it would NEVER cycle. I was investigating bacteria-in-a-bottle, ready to give up. But then...it finally ended and I got those magic colours in my tests :)

One thing I'm wondering in retrospect, is that apparently dechlorinators like Prime MIGHT slow down the cycle. Not everyone agrees that this is true, but it might be worth being extra careful not to overdose with whatever dechlorinator you are using. But put in just enough to get rid of the chlorine - don't want to zorch the bacteria, after all :)

It's funny you say that, because I'm about there as my patience (as well as my 7 year old's) is being tested. I'll just stay the course though :)

I actually avoided using Prime during the fishless cycle because of the discussion regarding it *possibly* being detrimental to the process. I'm just using standard dechlorinator, although I have been over using it a bit to be on the safe side, maybe I'll just use as directed.

Thanks for the input. And I hope the OP doesn't think I hijacked the thread. I'm hopeful this will help him/her as well when they get to this point.

Grumpy...I'm right here with you! Thank you for posting exactly what I was looking for. This is a great reinforcement of what I'm doing too! Happy waiting!

We should start a support group. :) Glad to know I'm not alone. I keep reading nauseatingly successful fishless cycle diaries of people's perfect 15 day complete cycles where they dosed ammonia to 4 ppm every day, never did a water change, and nitrites never went off the charts before falling. I feel like the friend at an engagement party who just got dumped when I read those things haha.

On the advice of some other fishkeepers I have decided to stop dosing ammonia so frequently. We will see what a few days without ammonia does to my cycle.

My nitrate levels are also high but I believe that it due to high nitrite levels screwing up the test.

Haha. Support group, I'm in! I am still here with the high nitrites too, I'm on week 4 of my cycle. My nitrates are only reading at 5ppm. So I'm not as close as you I'm afraid. :( I did two 75% water changes back to back and nitrites are still way off the charts. I decided that I'm going to keep dosing 16 drops of pure ammonia once a day...this takes my ammonia from 0ppm to 1.5ppm and I am going to trust that the nitrites will show up on the chart soon. If you've been skipping ammonia dosages, maybe I'll go to 5 drops every other day. Ugh. Please let me know when your nitrite starts dropping! Until then, I'll be impatiently waiting with you! ;)

Finally getting some movement! Nitrites are going down a little each day over the last three days. I think I will do one more day of low ammonia dosing (. 5-1 ppm) and see where I am tomorrow. I think I'm finally getting close!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407929862124.jpg
    1407929862124.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 156
Mine was just like this for like 2 weeks. Reading this thread was a big help with the feeling despondent about the tank not finishing the cycle.

I gave lower amounts of NH3 and then one day I tested and bam all the Nitrite was gone! I dosed to 4ppm last night at 1030 and am now anxiously awaiting 1030 tonight to test after 24 hours. Really hoping to see 0 NH3 and 0 Nitrites.

I had to do 2 50% WC because of pH dropping to ~6. I did use prime and I don't think it slowed anything down, however I didn't trust any readings I got from my test kit for at least 24 hours.

Keep at it, hopefully we hear good news soon from you guys!

Keep us posted on your outcome. I went ahead and dosed to 4 ppm this morning hoping I pass the 24 hour test. I'm jot sure if I will or not as my nitrites weren't down to zero yet. However, they've gone from 5 ppm to. 25 in only two or three days, so I'm hopeful I am on the brink of being done.

+1 for the support group. My Ammonia dropped on Saturday. Did about a 40% water change trying to bring my Nitrite down without success :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 for the support group. My Ammonia dropped on Saturday. Did about a 40% water change trying to bring my Nitrite down without success :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't be afraid to do another. And another after that. I had to do three water changes in two days to get mine on the scale. It won't hurt anything. Just don't disturb the gravel and stuff. I did a 30%, 50%, then finally like a 60%.

Don't be afraid to do another. And another after that. I had to do three water changes in two days to get mine on the scale. It won't hurt anything. Just don't disturb the gravel and stuff. I did a 30%, 50%, then finally like a 60%.

Oh ok, I thought I had read somewhere that water changes can stall the cycle? Guess that person was wrong

Joe, today my nitrite took longer to turn deep purple so that excited me a little. I reduced the ammonia I am dosing to only .5ppm daily so my fingers are crossed that my nitrite will start showing up on the lower side of the chart soon! Warm welcome to our new support groupies! Yay!

Lol, I get excited about that too. I have 2 hours left until my 24 hours are up, so I'm anxious to see what the numbers are. I'm expecting 0 ammo, 2 ppm nitrites, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom