Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK~
So the tank is up and running and thought I'd try this fishless cycle since I didn't want to subject any of my fish to the "cycle of death".

The tank is 120gal and I added about 3/4C ammonia and the reading is at 6ppm (is this too high) If so, I will do a water change to bring the ammonia level down a bit. Whats next?
Do I wait for Nitrites to show?
I couldn't run these filters in the basement pond as they are gravity fed and there was not enough height difference to get the filters going.
I think with one of the filters I can add a few bioballs to the chamber (looks like there's room)
I have yet to add plants ( I want real ) but I know the koi will destroy them, so artificial will have to do.
What else am I missing?
You guy's have been SO supportive~ Thanks you!!!!! Thanks you!!!!!!!
As soon as the canopy is made, I'll post pictures.
Since filling it last night (45min) I have bubbles on the tank and they arn't the prettiest to take a pic of and show.
So~ if anyone has info on the Fishless Cycle, please don't hesitate to expand. I appreciate it!!

Happy Holidays :)

cycling

Yeah, 6ppm is a little high...2ppm is plenty. Let it sit until you see the ammonia start to drop. When the ammonia gets to 0, add just enough to read on the test kit. About .25 ppm is plenty. You should see the nitrite spike soon. Add ammonia in very small amounts during this as you don't want to lose your bacteria. After the nitrite starts to fall off, you are very close to being ready for fish. Add ammonia, after the nitrites have dropped, to bring the level up to .25 ppm again. It should disappear quickly. Then you're ready to slowly add fish. Don't put them all in at once. Add a fish...let the biofilter adjust. Add another fish...let it adjust again. Be very diligent about testing for both ammonia and nitrite during this stage. After you have added the last fish, and have seen no trace of ammonia or nitrite for at least a week, you're good to go.
Logan J

Logan,

Do you think I should carry out a small waterchange to bring the ammonia down? Or should I leave it??
I can do either....
Thanks again & Have a great Day :)

ammonia

I'd probably change a little water and bring it down a little. You could, instead of adding ammonia to the water, go with the dead shrimp thing. Drop a shrimp in the just wait till things settle down. With that method, you don't have to add any ammonia because the decaying shrimp will keep adding small amounts which will keep the bacteria fed. I have cycled filters both ways. It's not a terribly exact science...there are many ways to do it. As long as ammonia is present, the bacteria will grow. Just watch the levels and before you know it, you'll be ready for the first fish.
Logan J

This may sound stupid but.....
When you say "dead shrimp" are you referring to the shrimp ready to eat in the bad or a "real" dead shrimp found at the local super market in the meat department (head, whiskers & tail)

Not sure if I'd want to put that in my new tank :)
Wouldn't want to look at it.

I did change 20% of the water yesterday but the ammonia was still up at 6ppm.
I'll change out some more today.

Thanks Logan :wink:

shrimp

Yeah...dead grocery store variety shrimp. You could put it in a mesh filter bag and hang it on the side somewhere. The method you're using will work OK too though. Just a little more work which, from what I've seen so far, is not something that bothers you much :). You may see a bacterial bloom that turns your water cloudy for a while...it'll go away. You can always change a little more water too. This is the hardest part...harder than all the work...waiting. And waiting. And waiting. In the end though, you will have a good environment to start adding your fish and they should experience minimal stress. Koi are tough anyway. I can't wait to see the pics of the finished tank with the fish in it...gonna be NICE.
Logan J

Now I have read several fishless cycle articles and they say if the ammonia reading goes off the charts it ok. Do I continue adding ammonia daily till I get a nitrite reading> Or do I just leave the ammonia where it's at and "wait" for a reading (that wasn't too clear)
I did take the filters from the 30g tank to seed the 120g. I also think i'm gonna add a few bioballs from the ponds in the basement. Hopefully that will get things moving a bit :)
You're right Logan about waiting :) :) It's VERY hard waiting!!
I guess what i'm gonna miss most when I move a few of the koi is them eating out of my hand :) It's truely amazing how wonderful these creatures are!! I really believe that they grow to know & trust us (just like a dog/cat) And it's GREAT!!
My 9" Kohaku slips right into the palm of my hand and let's me tickle her belly :) I know she like's that.
I'll get a pic & show ya'll.....

Have a wonderful day :) :)

fishless cycle

You don't have to add ammonia every day. Just don't let it drop all the way to 0. When it gets down to .25-.5, you could add some with an dropper. After the nitrite levels out, you should be able to add a very small amount of ammonia and have it disappear very quickly.
Logan J

Here are the results from this mornings test.
Ammonia~6ppm
Nitrites~1ppm
Nitrates~5.0ppm

How does this look?
Now what?
Do I just wait for all readings to hit 0?
It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow since I added the ammonia

Feel free to post comments :)

Test results (exactly 2 weeks today since adding ammonia)

Ammonia~6ppm
Nitrites~ 5ppm
Nitrate~10

Do these #'s mean I'm getting closer to being cycled?
I know I have to wait for the readings to drop, but I have read that they should start to drop once they have "spiked"
Is this true :?: :?:

How much ammonia did you add?

Are you saying your test kit is reading 6.0 ppm of ammonia? Thats like way high. I am suprised it has not gone down. What did it peak at?

Fishfreak,

The ammonia peaked at 6ppm and now my nitrites are peaking as well.
I added enough ammonia to reach the 6ppm mark(inicial dose) and now I haven't added any more.
I have a data sheet that I printed out from the internet(the tropicaltank.co.uk/flc-data.htm)
Should I do a partial water change?
I'm hoping that the #'s will start to drop within the next few days as the nitrites have peaked, and nitrates are detected.
Fill me in if I am incorrect.~please.....& Thank you :)

After 3 weeks of fishless cycle,
I drained the tank, refilled, and bought 6 large Danio's.

I was getting so frustrated I gave up :oops:
My ammonia didn't want to budge at 6ppm
Nitrites were 5ppm and holding strong.

Thats when I did waterchanges over a few days to get ammonia to 0 and nitrites to 1ppm.
I added salt to the tank prior to adding the fish.
I have to say, it really wasn't worth the 3 weeks.
If fish were added right at the start, I'd be almost done :x

Oh well~ live & learn
Here's the new guys in the tank.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 3 weeks of fishless cycle,
I drained the tank, refilled, and bought 6 large Danio's.

I was getting so frustrated I gave up :oops:
My ammonia didn't want to budge at 6ppm
Nitrites were 5ppm and holding strong.

Thats when I did waterchanges over a few days to get ammonia to 0 and nitrites to 1ppm.
I added salt to the tank prior to adding the fish.
I have to say, it really wasn't worth the 3 weeks.
If fish were added right at the start, I'd be almost done :x

Oh well~ live & learn

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom