Fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spewns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read your post in the saltwater forum about fishless cycling. I like it. Can something like that be done in a freshwater tank?

Sure you can use a simular method in fresh water. Maybe we can get crazybitchishere or Bob Ashcraft to write up something on fishless freshwater cycling.

fishless cycling

hope they do it soon! gal at work wants to dump some fish off on me at the end of this month.

Well, I haven't done this myself, but I keep a little book with the info i collect and this is what i have on fishless cycling--i am assuming you have a basic knowledge of water chemistry and testing kits, etc....if not, i got a link for that! :D

2.5 ppm of NH3 is used per day---results should support a fully stocked tank--don't wait until NH3 drops to 0 before adding more, you need a constant supply of food for the bacteria--

initially add 5 ppm NH3 don't add more until you have a significant drop in your levels ( to 2-3 ppm ), then start adding 2.5 ppm each day (don't add it every day until it is being completely processed every day)
once it is processing 2.5 ppm every day add that amount every day until both NH3 and NO3 go to 0

you want to use pure ammonia , make sure that it doesn't contain any other added chemicals, pure ammonia is usually very cheap....

guideline to start is to use 5 drops per gallon--should put level at 5ppm
, if not keep adding until you reach it and check levels daily

you can also do a google search on fishless cycling and you will get a lot of info, hope this helps you

btw, your friend has an established tank i am assuming---put your filter on her tank and let it run for the month until you transfer the fish, keep all filter material wet with tank water until you can hook it up at your house...
also would suggest researching the particular fish's requirements, because they can vary widely......best luck, let us know if you need more help

Where would one find ammonia? The cleaning products isle of a grocery store?

Just curious cause I was looking for some garlic oil the other day for the new fish I got and I could not find anything other than some garlic "juice" crap.

PHEW am i late with this one, but..........
i haven't hunted for it myself, but supposedly food lion carries a pure ammonia window cleaner and it's less than a dollar....

Crazy, garlic oil is used in saltwater to help fight ICH. Not sure if it does the same thing with freshwater or not.

I have yet to find pure garlic oil in wal-mart. Most of the garlic juice products have preservitives or salt added.

Back
Top Bottom