Fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrite is 1.0 Nitrate is just below 10ppm.
Should I do a partial water change?

Nitrite is 1.0 Nitrate is just below 10ppm.
Should I do a partial water change?

Those levels are fine.

I don't know exactly what levels to change water at, say above 2ppm NO2 or 40ppm NO3 do a water change.

I don't know specifics because I don't formally cycle my tanks.

I was expecting a tank way worse than that. Lol. Nice tank by the way.

Don't let ammonia get over 4 ppm, nitrites over 5 ppm and nitrates over 80 ppm is usually the safe bet. There's a ton of discussion over levels and what is to much or too little but these always seem to be ok levels to work with.

Honestly, the way your tank looks idk if I'd clean to much. BB attaches itself to everything in the tank so whatever you "scrub" clean could remove it. I don't want to necessarily disagree with ZXC because the guy is way smarter than me but looking at your tank I wouldn't touch anything unless it was to add ammonia or remove some water if parameters get way to high.

Just removing water doesn't affect a cycle because BB isn't in the water column.

Honestly, the way your tank looks idk if I'd clean to much. BB attaches itself to everything in the tank so whatever you "scrub" clean could remove it. I don't want to necessarily disagree with ZXC because the guy is way smarter than me but looking at your tank I wouldn't touch anything unless it was to add ammonia or remove some water if parameters get way to high.

No need to disagree, you seem way more educated on cycling than I am (I do a planted “ghost” cycles if I even cycle at all ... plants first choice for Nitrogen is ammonia ;) )

I agree, don’t change anything, let the tank cycle. King’s numbers are well rounded and generally agreed upon for cycling. Likely no need for fertilizers either judging on how you have your plants planted and your plant selection.

No need to disagree, you seem way more educated on cycling than I am (I do a planted “ghost” cycles if I even cycle at all ... plants first choice for Nitrogen is ammonia ;) )

I agree, don’t change anything, let the tank cycle. King’s numbers are well rounded and generally agreed upon for cycling. Likely no need for fertilizers either judging on how you have your plants planted and your plant selection.
When it comes to plants I follow your lead so I don't doubt ammonia is being consumed by plants. I guess what I'm trying to say is if she's regularly testing her water during a cycle she can add ammonia as she goes to keep it within a range of 2-4ppm. I'd like to believe this would be plenty for plants and BB to consume. Much like how a cycled/established tank with plants would work.....BB and plants are both consuming ammonia??

From memory those max values are pretty decent. Lost the articles but generally the bacteria is easily fine, it’s more for convenience so people can get something useful off their test kits. From memory lol though. Maybe I should try and find the USB stick

Tested water
Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrites 2.0
Nitrates 20.0

I also received Dr Tim's one and only. I added the entire bottle to the water. I'm hoping this will help the cycle along. Actually speed it up abit

I'd leave it there. Looks good at the moment.
Bacteria in a bottle maybe hit and miss. I wouldn't lean on it to hard.

I know now as I added Abit too much leaving my ammonia too high. I'm doing a partial water change

I meant I leaned on ammonia too much leaving test too high. Not Dr tims

Tap water 0 for each test.
pH 8, NH3 0.5, NO2 0.25, NO3 0, KH 3 drops?,
GH 3 drops?
All seems good but no Nitrates

Tap water 0 for each test.
pH 8, NH3 0.5, NO2 0.25, NO3 0, KH 3 drops?,
GH 3 drops?
All seems good but no Nitrates

you're pH is likely not 8, especially with a kH of 3.

Leave a glass of water out for 24-48 hours and test pH. That will give you a "more" accurate reading (API liquid kit isn't all that great).

KH and GH, both took 3 drops to turn to the right colour.
I need to look these up to understand what you mean

KH and GH, both took 3 drops to turn to the right colour.
I need to look these up to understand what you mean

kH = buffering capability. Typically the higher the kH the higher the pH.

My tap water has a kH of 15 degrees, and a pH of 8.2.

Yours is 5 times lower, yet pH is almost as high as mine. I'm not saying it isn't true, just odd in this case.

It is 8. Hopefully when cycle is complete, the KH and GH numbers start matching up.

Today NH3 2.0, NO2 4.0, NO3 40.0
This seemed like a spike so I did 20% water change and wiped down all the glass.
Also got a UV sterilizer, the green killing machine one.

I'm getting abit frustrated now, and I can understand why this is the stage when people start making mistakes out of sheer frustration and the patience that is needed.

Those parameters were good. You could bump ammonia up to 4 ppm and let nitrates hit up to 80 ppm. Nitrites are fine.

Back
Top Bottom