Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2003, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

fishless cycling 6 weeks in..HELP

I am six weeks into fishless cycling. Got the ammonia up to around 5ppm to start with, I had my nitrite spike around the second week and they have been at zero since about a week after that and have stayed that way. My nitrates are between 40-60. The tank seems to be able to burn through about 2 ppms of ammonia in a 24 hour period. It seems to be a constant cycle of burning through about 2ppm every day. Never been able to get down to 0
It has been 6 weeks this past Tuesday...what am I doing wrong? I am wondering if the PH is to low.. Will the tank not fishless cycle? I even went out and purchased a new ammonia test kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals thinking something was wrong with my kit, but no change.

Tank Info
45 Gal
Fluval 304 Filter
Undergravel filter with 1 power head

Ammonia is at 1ppm have not added any in almost 36 hours
Nitrate is around 40
Nitrite is 0
ph is around 6 or less
ph city tap water is around 7.2 7.8
Thanks in advance for you help.

Old 05-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just keep dping the water changes - have heart it will improve.

Do you have any plants? They will help the cycling. Also we fed our imaginary fish during the fishless cycle - and amazingly snails appeared. After that - it all seemed to work. Touch wood - although we only have two guppies and an algae eater in week ten.

Old 05-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Are you adding ammonia still? If so, stop. You'll never get the ammonia down to 0 if you keep adding it. Give the tank about three days and test for ammonia/nitrite. If the readings are 0, it's time to add the fish.

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com