Fishless cycling a 55 - My experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another Test. (6 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm
Ammonia added: NONE

Another Test. (7 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

Is it normal to get the same reading for 7 days in a row? What's going on here? :confused:

Another Test. (7 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

Is it normal to get the same reading for 7 days in a row? What's going on here? :confused:

What about your nitrates?

Also, did you test your tap water? Maybe those 0.5ppm nitrites come from there.

If it doesn't and you have no nitrates, then I agree it is weird not to see any increase in those nitrites or nitrates.

What about your nitrates?

Also, did you test your tap water? Maybe those 0.5ppm nitrites come from there.

If it doesn't and you have no nitrates, then I agree it is weird not to see any increase in those nitrites or nitrates.

My nitrates were 40ppm from the tap (I tested it last week before I started the cycle) and I actually just tested it again and got 0ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites.

My tank test tonight was: (8 days after initial ammonia dose)
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

I haven't tested the tank for Nitrates since I started. Should I? I thought the ammonia was supposed to drop while the nitrite rises and I continue to add ammonia until the nitrite spikes, then test for nitrates.

I am assuming Ammonia - 40ppm was a typo.

Well if you didnt have nitrates in your tap water I would say yes go ahead and test for nitrates (it could be that some of the nitrites are being oxidized to nitrates and that is why you are not seeing any changes, though if you did not seed your tank it would probably be too soon to see nitrates). However, with 40ppm nitrates in your tap water I don't think you would be able to see the increase (ie from 40ppm to 42ppm)

Your best bet is to be patient and wait for ammonia to decrease and nitrites to increase. With your tap water so high in nitrates you should consider plants high in nitrate consumption. I know lucky bamboo will do this, but it is also not a true aquatic plant. I also have another plant that takes up nitrates like crazy but I am not sure exactly what it is (bacopa australis maybe). I am sure there are a lot of kowledgeable people here that can give you better suggestions on high nitrate consumption plants.

It can take many, many days for ammonia to process, and for enough bacteria to build up to make a good dent in the ammonia levels in a 24 hour period. I agree that getting a constant 0.5 reading of nitrite is weird, but the cycle just needs to be waited out. Some weirdness is okay :)

If you get the same readings for 2.5-3 weeks, I'd start worrying.

You also may want to start testing every other day, if you find it improves your sanity levels :D :lol: ;)

Last edited:
Ammonia or nitrates? I believe the API ammonia test caps at 8ppm or 16ppm and it's pretty hard to distinguish between the top levels anyways.

Ammonia or nitrates? I believe the API ammonia test caps at 8ppm or 16ppm and it's pretty hard to distinguish between the top levels anyways.

My tap water:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm

My tank water: (after initial ammonia dose)
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrites: .5ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm
*It's been the same for over a week now. I got a .5ppm reading for Nitrites on the 2nd day, and it hasn't moved since. The ammonia hasn't dropped from 4ppm either.* :confused:

I hope that clears up any confusion. I'm sorry if I confused anyone, I confuse myself sometimes. :)

API ammonia caps at 8ppm and nitrate at 160ppm.

Another Test: (12 days after initial ammonia dose)
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

I want fish :bawl:

Hang in there!

My ammonia just dropped and nitrites went off the chart after 2 weeks of no movement, so just be patient!

Another Test: (14 days after initial ammonia dose)
Ammonia - 4ppm
Nitrites - .5ppm

I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. I've been patient but this is getting ridiculous.

I've been getting the same readings for 2 weeks. I don't understand why I got .5ppm nitrites on the second day and they haven't moved since. Also, I haven't added any ammonia in 2 weeks and it is still at 4ppm. I'm tempted to drain my tank and cycle it old school way with danios or something. This sucks.

AHHHHHH!!!! :rocket:

Have you seeded the tank with material from an established tank? It helps. I grabbed a spare biomedia bag out of one of my established filters and I'm into the nitrite spike and starting to see nitrates in my new tank. It's been running for nine days.

Have you seeded the tank with material from an established tank? It helps. I grabbed a spare biomedia bag out of one of my established filters and I'm into the nitrite spike and starting to see nitrates in my new tank. It's been running for nine days.

Unfortunately I have no way of "seeding" my tank.

At this point I would do a 50-75% PWC and then dose back up to 3-4 PPM.

And I agree 100% with BigJim, you should see if you can find a sponge or filter media or even substrate from a cycled tank and throw it in there. You are stalled but I cant see why you would be.

Is it possible that my Ammonia is actually higher than 4ppm in the tank but is indistinguishable using the API color chart? Because technically it could be between 4-8 ppm depending on who looks at it and how. haha. If I hold the test tube directly against the test card, it is darker than if I hold it about an 1" away.

I am starting to think that is why my cycle has stalled. :confused:

Ask your LFS for a cup of gravel or some filter slime to help seed your tank.

It is possible that your ammonia could be higher than 4ppm. You should always hold the tube against the card to compare colors, but 4ppm and above look pretty much the same. Try doing a 50% PWC and retest your ammonia levels.

Ask your LFS for a cup of gravel or some filter slime to help seed your tank.

It is possible that your ammonia could be higher than 4ppm. You should always hold the tube against the card to compare colors, but 4ppm and above look pretty much the same. Try doing a 50% PWC and retest your ammonia levels.

If that is the case it is above 4ppm for sure. Probably around 6 or so. I was holding the test tube away from the card so it looked alot lighter. Same goes for nitrites. They are probably more around 1ppm. I'll do a 50% water change this evening and see if that helps.

My main question is this though:
Where did the .5 ppm of nitrites come from? The bacteria must be present if nitrites showed up. Am I correct in that thinking?

Back
Top Bottom