Fishless cycling: ammonia gone, high nitrite and nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

First time Fishless cycling here! I'm cycling my 10 gallon quarantine tank so I can try to be a proactive fishkeeper and not introduce illness into my display tank :)

I started cycling the tank on October 30th, and I tested the water today with api master freshwater kit.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 2.0 (I think, on the sheet I can't really tell between 2.0 and 5.0...)
Nitrate: 160ppm (a very dark red!)

So I know my tank is registering nitrate now, yay! How long until the nitrite should go down? I've been dosing ACE janitorial strength ammonia every other day, no dyes or surfactants. Am I close to being done with my cycle? :) thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response :D
So just keep doing what I'm doing?

So excited to go get some panda corys and honey gouramis!

Should I do a pwc to lower the nitrates? Or leave everything alone until the nitrites go to zero?

So yesterday I did a 50% pwc to try to bring the levels down to read them a little better. Not sure it did me too much good though haha. I didn't dose today, but today my readings were ammonia 0, nitrite 2, nitrate 80-160.

I imagine it'd be difficult to predict, but anyone think my cycle might be done super soon? I only ask because I'd like to hit up the lfs to get the fish I'm planning on quarantine this Friday if my tank is cycled.... Between college and working part time, days off don't exist :(

Yeah, your tank should be basically cycled. Nitrates are high so nitrite is clearly being processed. Just water change down to 0 and call it good.

Did a 90% water change yesterday and tested this morning. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. Getting fish tomorrow!

Somehow a pond/bladder snail ended up in this qt and and seems to be getting bigger haha. He'll help with a tiny ammonia input.

Back
Top Bottom