Fishless Cycling and filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrduna01

Aquarium Advice Activist
So a 75 gallon tank was given to me! I'm pretty pumped and all I need is a better filter, or more filter to get it going! I currently have a 30 gallon with a whisper 20 at 110 gph, and a top fin 30 at 145 gph running side by side. I found what I think is a great deal on another filter (please correct me if it is not) for 30 bucks. It's a marineland C-160 canister rated at 160 gph. Here's my main questions. Can I fishless cycle running only the C160 on the 75 gallon? Then also, once the cycle is complete, running the three filters together on the 75... Would I have adequate filtration? Thank you for the insight!

Unfortunately, the three filters combined do not give you adequate filtration for a 75 gallon.
The C160 is only rated for 30gallons, the other two combined another 30-40gallons. Ideally for a 75 gallon you want a filter that can handle 100+ gallons like a fluval 405 or fluval fx5 (400gallons). The water will not get adequate filtration leading to bad water parameters.

You can probably get a good deal on a fluval 405 on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom