Fishless cycling done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy04

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I think my cycling is done. From Jan 20 -23 my ammonia has been zero. My nitrites on the 20 & 21 were 1, yesterday .25 and today 0 nitrites. I tested my pH and nitrates, pH is 8.0 and my nitrates are around 20. Do these numbers mean I'm finally done and can add fish?

Question, what were the ammonia amout you were adding? 2ppm/3ppm..etc

If it were me.. I will dose it up to 2ppm & wait for 24hrs. Test.

Ammonia Nitrite-0 in 24hrs. Great!

Now, dose it up to 3ppm & wait 24hrs

& if 0 in 24hrs...hit it one more time with 4ppm. & see if you are at 0.

I say this base on what you said.

My nitrites on the 20 & 21 were 1, yesterday .25 and today 0

My ammonia source throughout this process has been fish food and raw shrimp. I can't find a pure source of ammonia, so it's hard for me to know exactly. I've had filter media from my other tank since day one so it would speed up the process. I did a water change on the 19th added a shrimp, fish food and my nitrites went up to 1 on Jan 20 but 0 ammonia

You could slowly add fish and keep testing. Be prepared to do water changes if you have a mini-cycle.

You could slowly add fish and keep testing. Be prepared to do water changes if you have a mini-cycle.

I was thinking about that but I wanted to get some opinions from people who've done this before. It would be easier if a had a better source of ammonia

fishguy04 said:
I looked and everything I've seen has a scent to it or bubbles when I shake it

The pure ammonia can have bubbles. But if you compare it to ammonia with surfactant the bubbles clear up faster. Surfactant makes it foamy. Most kinds will list surfactant in the ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom