Fishless cycling - expertise needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amboss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right, this is the scenario:

Got a used Juwel 300 and set it up before Xmas. Sadly I hadn´t done my research so everything got thoroughly washed and dried (read: filter sponges!). :( Not the gravel though, and given how many snails survived, bacteria may as well. I put plant substrate underneath the gravel, in went the rocks, root and plants. The tap water here (Iceland) is perfectly clean and needs no purification. pH around 8.8 as I recall. It´s very soft water, although I don´t have the actual figures - does it matter?

My tank was bubbling on it´s own till the new year, when my API master test kit arrived. On the 8th I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40 ppm nitrites. pH 7,5. The next day I put in 2 teaspoons of Salt of Hartshorn, which is just Ammonium bicarbonate (e 503). This got the ammonia to 0,4 ppm.

On the third day after this, the ammonia got down to 0,2 and nitrites showed the same. After this I added ammonia daily (to 0,4), dropping as low as 0,05 in 24 hours. Thought I was almost there, although nitrites weren´t showing. After a few days of adding ammonia, it stopped dropping and nitrites were showing 0 again. pH is now 6 or less (the test doesn´t go any lower). Nitrites are 40-80 (difficult to tell as it´s almost the same shade of colour).

I have the heat up to almost 30°C and full blast of air. In the filter I put a new Juwel Nitrax (anti-nitrate) and Juwel Carbon Sponge, as well as the mechanical Poly Pads. For bio-filter I used two old sponges as well as the used Cirax.

The low acidity would be the bicarbonate part of what I use to get ammonia. I´ve used advice on your site for my fishless cycle and according to this the pH should be above 6,5. Could my low acidity have stalled the cycle that was appearing to be almost there? Or are some other dark forces at work? Should I do some FWC to get the pH a bit higher?

I suspect the PH drop, which is common when cycling. The nitrification process slows in the mid-6's and at about 6 or below it stops all together. Have you done any water changes? I'd do a full water change to try to get PH back up. If it keeps falling you may need to buffer the water with something like crushed coral or argonite in your filter, but for now try a full water change, wait an hour or so, then test PH. If it's at least 7, then go ahead and redose ammonia.

You might also want to do this PH tap test as follows:
1. test the PH right from your tap
2. leave a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH again; this is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be. Sometimes PH changes after the water gasses off. Let us know the results.

Thanks, 50% PWC in progress. Will test tap water as recommended, if only in the name of science.:) According to the water company it´s about 8.8, but I tested it once and got an 8 (fresh out of the tap) using my API kit. Will try the 24 hour recommendation.

Ammonium bicarbonate is of course ammonia and CO2, so I shouldn´t be surprised over the low pH! Lesson learned... the hard way.

Tap test complete: 8,2 straight up, 7,5 after 24 hrs. Makes the drop to 6 less dramatic. Thanks a lot, I´d never heard of this difference before.

Tank is now at 7,5 after 50% change yesterday plus 70 liter change today + teaspoon of baking soda. Will go shell hunting tomorrow to get some natural buffers.

Sounds good. If you can get the PH to stay around 7.5 then the cycle should finish up. Fishless cycling tends to drop the PH fairly fast due to the high turnover of ammonia and nitrite. Once the cycle ends and you get fish it should stay more stable.

Back
Top Bottom