fishless cycling problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maureenmcames

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I did notice all the newbies with the cycling issues & did read some to see if my situation is similar but no luck so here goes...I did a lot of reading before deciding to try fishless cycling. I have had a couple of different freshwater tanks before but never did a f.c. I have a 30 gallon which I started up on November 19, yes November! I added ammonia & waited. I have the heat cranked up, no lights on & an air strip. I checked the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates every day starting about Dec 1. I finally got my nitrites & nitrates off the chart high in mid - late December. I have an API master test kit. Every other day I would add ammonia when it got down to 1ppm still the nitrites & nitrates were wicked high so I did a 50% water change. I did add 1.5ml Prime as I read somewhere to get rid of chloramines but now since the w.c. my nitrites are 0 & my nitrates are about 10ppm & I am adding about 4ml ammonia every other day when it goes down to 1ppm. What am I doing wrong??? I am losing patience but don't understand what happened? I thought I was doing everything right. Thanks for your help!

I have had my tank for about 3 weeks. The first week all my fish were dying because I was unaware of cycling:/ then I started doing water changes everyday. About 25%. I went to get my water tested to see how it was and it wasn't that great of results. I decide to go to a family owned pet store and one of the owner seem to have been a "fish expert" and he recommended Seachem stability. Here I am now with my ammonia levels at 0 nitrites at 0 and nitrates at about 10-20. My tank was cycled in less then 2 weeks :) so I really recommend it. :)

Back
Top Bottom