Fishless cycling - progress thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iMax

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently on day 3 of my cycle, using all new equipment, except for a plastic plant from a cycled tank at a lfs to aid in bacteria growth

ph - 8.2
ammonia - looks to be 1 - 1.5 ppm
nitrites - 0.25 ppm <==== :brows:
nitrates - 0 ppm

got the heater set at 84 degrees and the water low for extra bubbles

Also any tips for lowering the ph? I know a water change helps but my city has particularly hard water and im looking to make a community tank

iMax said:
Currently on day 3 of my cycle, using all new equipment, except for a plastic plant from a cycled tank at a lfs to aid in bacteria growth

ph - 8.2
ammonia - looks to be 1 - 1.5 ppm
nitrites - 0.25 ppm <==== :brows:
nitrates - 0 ppm

got the heater set at 84 degrees and the water low for extra bubbles

Also any tips for lowering the ph? I know a water change helps but my city has particularly hard water and im looking to make a community tank

Nice! You got nitrites pretty quick! Dont mess with the ph. Your fish can adapt to your ph.

It also fluctuates during your cycle

Oh and since everyone loves pictures, here they are

My slate outcrop
img_2061840_0_6d9d8c0814096a77e61ae1d98197e5e2.jpg

Driftwood I collected
img_2061840_1_8f548f67f16616ba3ef88ca73db82adc.jpg

Full tank view
img_2061840_2_0e0c9a39f7f2f3a18d6d3c26c7e6d6d8.jpg

Going to pick up some live plants soon, tall fast growers to live the back and small nice looking ones for everywhere else

Day 5, this is my fist cycle, so any advice is appreciated on what to do now...my ph is 7.6

img_2064874_0_eec9f02102d3f4dc033cdf283d6e3fc7.jpg

Nitrates possibly here?
img_2064874_1_9220daf76d9022a9c401757dfc1983af.jpg

Nitrites look off the chart
img_2064874_2_d8ed674811ea1811578979108a299893.jpg

iMax said:
Day 5, this is my fist cycle, so any advice is appreciated on what to do now...my ph is 7.6

Nitrates possibly here?

Nitrites look off the chart

Nice! Nitrates are a good sign! I'd do a 50% water change to get thw nitrites down. When it gets too high, the cycle can stall

Okay, and what about ammonia dosing? back up to 4? when the ideal time to add fish

iMax said:
Okay, and what about ammonia dosing? back up to 4? when the ideal time to add fish

Yes, after the pwc, dose the correct amount of ammo to get the ammonia reading at 4 ppm again. You add fish when ammonia, nitrites are 0

iMax said:
Thank you, now im getting excited

You should be, your in the last step! Are your ammonia levels dropping at all after 24 hrs?

iMax said:
Dosed it up to 4 yesterday, and todays picture was its current level

I didnt realize it was only day five lol man! Day 5 and you already have nittrates! This wil be a fast cycle. Mine took 45 horrible days

Yea I am surprised, the plant in the tank is from a cycled tank so I knew that would help but not as much as it appears to have

Wow that's incredible progress. Have you tested your tap water for nitrite, ammonia and nitrate? If not you should; it'll give you a baseline as to what you're starting with (e.g if your tap water has nitrites or nitrates then they're coming from your tap and not necessarily from the cycle yet).

Just keep doing what you're doing. Dose ammonia to 4 once per day if it falls below 2 after 24 hours. Nitrites will keep rising; that's normal. The nitrite phase can take up to 3 weeks. If nitrites stay high for at least a week and/or you notice ammmonia not dropping as fast and/or if your PH starts to drop do a large water change). Otherwise it's pretty much a waiting game.

Wow that's incredible progress. Have you tested your tap water for nitrite, ammonia and nitrate? If not you should; it'll give you a baseline as to what you're starting with (e.g if your tap water has nitrites or nitrates then they're coming from your tap and not necessarily from the cycle yet).

Just keep doing what you're doing. Dose ammonia to 4 once per day if it falls below 2 after 24 hours. Nitrites will keep rising; that's normal. The nitrite phase can take up to 3 weeks. If nitrites stay high for at least a week and/or you notice ammmonia not dropping as fast and/or if your PH starts to drop do a large water change). Otherwise it's pretty much a waiting game.

Tap water is nitrite/nitrate free

Just did a 60% water change to try and lower nitrites, as well as added live plants

PH 7.6
Ammonia 4 ppm (dosed it back)
Nitrite - still off the charts it looks like
Nitrate - 10 ppm

Back
Top Bottom